Fuel like substance leaking from bottom of crossover pipe and bottom of downpipe

gn87man

I just installed a new rebuilt engine in my 87 GN.

I have a fuel like substance (smells just like fuel) leaking from the bottom of the crossover pipe and the bottom of the downpipe (where the downpipe meets the exhaust under car). It is a constant drip from both areas. Car idles good.

I have checked all fuel lines and they look good with no leaks.

What are possible causes and solutions to this problem?

Thank you in advance !

If its def fuel then one of the lines has a drip. Possibly one of the injecters not seated properly. Give it a real good once over both uptop and along the rail underneath, you'll find it

Does the substance that smells like gas taste like gas?

Might just be water.

If you're dumping enough fuel into the engine to phycically drip out of those two places, you'd be blowing black smoke, INTs and BLMs would be maxxxed out, and the oil would be overfilled, thin, and reak of gas.

If its def fuel then one of the lines has a drip. Possibly one of the injecters not seated properly. Give it a real good once over both uptop and along the rail underneath, you'll find it
Thank you! I will double check the injectors to make sure they are properly seated.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Does the substance that smells like gas taste like gas?

Might just be water.

If you're dumping enough fuel into the engine to phycically drip out of those two places, you'd be blowing black smoke, INTs and BLMs would be maxxxed out, and the oil would be overfilled, thin, and reak of gas.

Good point. I will double check to make sure it is actually fuel and report back tomorrow. Thank you for the information.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Well, I determined that the "fuel" like substance was just condensation that had not burnt off before I started the car. It had been about 2 weeks since I had started the car and I am guessing some condensation had built up in the exhaust system and when I started the car up, it flowed down to the center of the crossover pipe. After I started the car, the condensation stopped dripping from the crossover pipe and did not occur again. Strange. Thank you all for the help.

Factory exhaust systems will typically have a tiny drain hole in a strategic location where they want to drain out this condensate. Many times it's in a low spot of the muffler.
I chuckle when told that steam from the tailpipe is a blown head gasket. When on cold mornings every car has " the blown head gasket" symptom.