You can type here any text you want

Fuel pump mod.....

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Freddie's Buick

Hell No! I'm not a junior
Originally posted by b4black
Roe's book says something like 4 psi at WOT, and some Buick manual were saying 5. Then others said a Quadrajet is fine with as little as 2 psi. :confused: (I had about 3 pis at WOT.)

Then I found a site that says it's not pressure, but flow that's important. That the carb's fuel bowl can't hold enough for a ¼ mile run. Whith good flow, 2 psi is enough.

In case my pump was bad, I swapped it with a new one I already had (brand unknow). The WOT stumbling improve a little, but was still there. :(

Then I removed the internal filter in the carb inlet and replaced it with a much larger external filter. (less restriction = more flow) NO STUMBLE!!! :) 3 psi before the filter dosn't mean much. It's the pressure/flow after the filter that's important.

Originally posted by Freddie's Buick

And finally, remove the OEM internal paper filter. According to Roe a good in-line filter prior to the carb will handle the internal paper element's job just as well. (In-line has less restriction then internal and the flow will increase Just like you wrote about Rich).
Well I installed a Carter fuel pump, Summit in-line fuel gauge and a Russell Clear Flow Plus in-line fuel filter. The flow rate for this filter is about 30-GPH@3.50 PSI according to spec sheet, (total 60GPH@7PSI). The readings I got on my gauge were between 4.50-5.00 PSI. I also took the liberty to remove the carb's internal paper filter.

Removing this filter was a bad idea for me. The pressure was a steady 4.50-5.00 PSI@idle before the carb inlet. The pressure increased to 7-PSI when the engine was shut off. This caused overflow at initial start-up and flooded the carb several times.

The long OEM fuel filter has a check valve inside it. This regulates pressure and prevents overflow. It's like a safety valve. If one has a real good flowing inline filter like the one I got, keep the OEM internal paper filter in the carb. Removing it may cause these types of problems. :)

Back