You can type here any text you want

Fuel pump sock on new pump???

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

tta1401

I installed my new Walbro 340 in my car a few weeks back. When I pulled to pump out, the sock was pretty toasted. I noticed the the new pump had a screen in it and the stock one didn't. So, I went ahead and put it in anyways since there was a screen in it.

Now it has me thinking if I should have did this. I was thinking if any junk goes up in the pump, yea, it will get stopped by the screen in the pump but block some of the fuel going in it. Now, if the sock was on there, it will block the junk but still have all the more area than the screen in the pump and still supply fuel to the pump. Does that make sense? Should I even have to worry about it?

TIA,

I know my Walbro came with a new sock which I installed. The screen is there to be a second line of defense. HTH

Its up to you if you want to drop the tank again. I know how much fun it is.:eek:

U frigged up the pump install..there is very little area on the bottom of the pump and that will clog easily. The sock is also there to keep gas in the pump..like the rubber sleeve around the pump..so it gets soaked with gas and helps cool the pump.

Question know is..how long before your pump bites the bullet...and what damage when that occurs.

If GM put one on there..it was for a reason.. you re-engineered something that was perfect..

Originally posted by Razor
If GM put one on there..it was for a reason.. you re-engineered something that was perfect..

Well perfect except that the pump itself was way too small to supply enough fuel for our engines with only minor mods.:D :D

Originally posted by Razor
U frigged up the pump install..there is very little area on the bottom of the pump and that will clog easily.

Clog.............. with what ?

I didn't try to re-engineer anything. Just a simple mistake. When you are pressed for time to get things done, you have to make quick decisions. In my case, I was leaving from St. Louis (car was stored there) to Oklahoma City the next day. I had to change the pump because it was whining like a little girl. I was wanting to wait till I got to OKC to do it. My guess is that the sock was collapsing. I am just wondering why my pump didn't come w/ one. Guess I will have to make a call.:rolleyes:

So your having probs with a low mile 340 also? I'm having fuel press probs and my 340 has seen maybe 1k miles. I kept thinking no way that pump has gone bad already. Anyway.... I'm dropping my tank in the next weel or two and having it sumped. I finally ordered my aeromotive external pump today. It may be overkill but dropping that tank is a PITA and should be a thing of the past for me soon.

Jason

Originally posted by 1BADDAM
Clog.............. with what ?

Im sorry, my part of the country, the gas that gets put in my tank from those improperly maintained filling stations.. ever drained your tank..see whats on the bottom of the tank... :rolleyes:

In a perfect world.. there would be pure filtered gas in my tank..real world, unless you use a strainer when you fill..no way.

Surface area of the strainer is 10 times the pump inlet.

Hey its only a couple hours to drop the tank and fix it.. worse case it clogs and the car goes lean..or seizes the pump and blows the fuse.

Be happy the opportunity exists to fix it..and find the original sock somewhere in the tank.

Well I am not having any problems yet. I will have to drop it again and fix it. I have the old sock and it had rips in it. Kinda weird. The tank has been down before but not by me. If I recall, the sock wouldn't even fit on the 340. Is there some other sock that would fit on it?

Every fuel pump I've ever done has come with a sock, some connectors, a small piece of hose, some clamps, and instructions.

I dunno who sells socks by themselves, and the Walbro 340 has a larger diameter inlet vs the stock pump..so you cant use the stocker. Contact who sold you the pump and see if they can get you a sock. Maybe racetronix or one of the vendors carries it?

Like the pulsator, you replace it with a piece of hose and a couple clamps.

HTH

Thanks Razor. I will call Racetronix and see if they can get me hooked up on one or point me in the right direction.:)

When using a Walbro pump...

ALWAYS use the Walbro graded-media filter sock, NOT the factory type!

ALWAYS replace the pulsator with the supplied rubber hose.

Fuel flowing through the pump cools it. The foam rubber sleeve is for sound dampening. Same with the pulsator.

E-mail sales@racetronix.com with your address and we will send a filter sock to you in the mail for free.

Jack :cool:
Racetronix

Jack,

I will send you mail. Thanks!:cool:

Now, what in the world is the pulsator? I pulled the instructions off a f-body site and they never said anything about this piece. Sorry for all the questions.:o

TIA,

Its the piece that goes between the pump and the top of the pickup assembly.

It looks like a clamshell with a couple rubber orings inside of it. You use a short length of hose instead.

BTW.. Racetronix ;) attaboy

Well I think I just burnt the pump up. My other car was down and I had no choice to drive my TTA to work. Well I went to Auto Zone for a new battery and came back out and it wouldn't start. I checked the fuel rail to see if it was getting fuel and nada. Is there any way to check to see if it is the pump for sure? I am going to be pulling the tank down this week because I have to get that sock on anyways. I suppose I could put 12V to it when I get it out to verify. Guess I will be getting a new pump.:mad: Well I guess this is one learning expierence in the book. :(

Man, sorry to hear bout that. usually you can listen to the whirring sound when you initially turn the key on.

If its any codolence, could have been worse..you could of been racing the car and it died..

Good luck on the install.

Thanks Razor. It shoud be busy pretty easy now since all the bolts have been out a month ago. I will just keep my head up.:cool:

O'kay, I got the pump out and put 12V to it and it started to pump. Now, could it be the fuel pump relay or could the pump be starting to go bad and I just got lucky? I know I don't have the sock on the pump but there was very little debri in the screen in the pump itself. Where is the fuel pump relay on the TTA? I was thinking about checking it to see if it was bad. I am kinda lost now.:confused: What should I do?

TIA,

Was the pump hotwired? if so I'd look for a blown fuse in the hotwire kit.

Now my understanding is that when you first turn the ignition on, the ecm sends a pulse prime the pump. Once the motor starts turning over the oil pressure sender gives it the final command to stay running this is done to shut fuel off in the event of no oil pressure. The connector in the back of the car has three wires.One is ground(verify this), the other one goes to the guage..and the other is power(which works as described).

Also dont run the pump dry, it can/will damage it. If everything checks OK..I wouldnt put that pump back in. In other words if you turn on your ignition switch and the power to the pump is there..chances are its intermittant or there is a wiring prob from the pickup to the pump itself.

Hey its a lot of friggen work to drop the tank.. I wouldnt second guess anything thats inside the tank.

HTH

Back