fuel pump test

kmart17

after my rebuild my 02's are real low at wot I have done quite a bit of mods, so I wanted to make sure that my fuel pump was upgraded like iwas told when I bought the car, its a walbro 340, now my problem is the last few times i have turned the key on I could not hear the fuel pump and it still ran, it did die on me once and my f/p gauge was at 0 but there was gas in the tank, and it started back up after a few tries, the red wire on the pump connector was out of it's splice, is there anyway to test the pump safely while out of the car, thanks

I don't know how safe it would be to run the pump without it being submerged. I know they don't like that very much. I would call the manufacturer and see if they have any ideas. Or just stick it back in there and give it a try.

rpk250 said:
I don't know how safe it would be to run the pump without it being submerged. I know they don't like that very much. I would call the manufacturer and see if they have any ideas. Or just stick it back in there and give it a try.

You could make you own test fixture like I did. Mount the pump submerged in gas (do this outside). Attach the filter, some hose, tee-in a fuel pressure gauge with an adjustable nozzle to vary the pressure and flow. Plug into a power supply (or battery, watch out for sparks) and time how long it takes to fill a gallon can, at various pressures. Calculate flow rate by dividing the gallon by time.