Fuel Pump Underhood Operating

John Larkin

Sublime Master of Turbology
I am planning to hook up a switch to pump the fuel out of my tank by connecting to the white wire/black plug coming from under the alternator, using it as a ground and getting power from the back of the alternator post. Since this post is always hot, do I need to turn the key on when pumping fuel or simply flip the switch and start the pump with the key off?

Just flip the switch...don't know if I'd hook up a switch though...just make sure you don't leave it on or the pump will continue to run...why not just take a piece of wire...put an alligator clip on one side and a male spade on the other...when ready to drain the gas...plug the male spade into the connector then attach alligator clip to alt terminal...easier and safer...JMO

Yes, what Scott said. And, I am sure you did not mean it, but the fp test lead is not a ground. It is part of the hot circuit that provides voltage to the pump. When the pump is running, it has 12 volts on it and it has 12 volts on it for a couple of seconds when you turn the key on.

Connecting it to the back of the alternator sends 12 volts straight to the pump with the key on or off.

Duh! Yeah, I didn't mean it was a ground, just part of the circuit (you are too kind Steve!). Oh well, the mind fades with age....:( As for the switch, I have one of those aircraft type red flip covers that turn off a switch when the cover is closed. You have to make a conscious effort to turn on the switch and I'll be watching for the bubbles to turn it off once draining is nearly complete. I just want a permanently mounted switchpoint so that it's one less thing I have to remember to hookup. Thanks for the replies!