You can type here any text you want

Fuel Pump

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

dadcat

1986 Grand National was running great, til about 6 months ago, Car just quite running. Check crank sensor, coil, etc. I have a fuel guage on rail, turn key on, no pressure at guage after 2 minutes. Check fuel pump relay, i jump across the contacts, still no pressure on guage. Is the pump dead?

Pump was replaced with better pump about 6 years ago. Any ideas where to start looking?

Thanks

I used test light back at the fuel pump plug and could not get any reading. I could have a bad ground connection, I wil try tomorrow again with another battery back at the pump and see if I get the pump to work, if pump works, then trace wiring to front and see what the problem is.

Today I check voltage at pump, no volts with key on, jump power to pump at pump relay, voltage at pump with key on was 13 volts, no fuel pressure on rail gauge. Fuel pump could be bad, ( dk grey white a1 ) signal from control module for fuel pump was zero with key on. The fuel pump relay does work when i jumped the control circuit.

I have power to control module ( orangec16 ) The first owner wire the fuel pump as a hot relay, he has signal to fuel pump coming from white wire with single plug, the same plug is with two other white wires on the driver side bottom of ac compressor. That wire is being used to turn on the fuel pump ( no voltage ) ground side of pump relay control is good.

Relay works when jumped, pump has voltage when jumped. Next step is new pump and hot relay set up. Any ideas out there on the three white wires near compressor? and I'm the right track ?

Thanks

Assuming no flow restrictions (filter clogged, bent line) I'd vote bad pump if you have voltage at the pump connection.

Souns like a bad pump, what brand and where did you get it? is it NEW stock? only good thing is now a days you can get a good fuel pump at a good price... my 2cents

OK so 2 things to check

If you have no voltage to the pump there is where we want to start.

First, drivers side behind alernator you want to find the green wire with a brown plug. apply power to this plug. Do you hear the pump or get fuel pressure?

If you get no to the above then you want to run a wire from the battery positive to the fuel pump directly. I do not have the wiring in front of me but look on here or gngtype.org and you should be able to find it. If the fuel pump does run you have a fule pump relay, wiring issue. If it does not run then you have a fuel pump issue.

Get these questions answered and we will go from there.

Where are you located maybe we can come help.

Don't forget to check the yellow bulkhead connector that the short in-tank pump harness plugs into. I went through everything you are and my connector was corroded. I touched power right at the pump and it ran. It saved me from buying a new pump. I bought a new harness from Racetronics and all is well. If you try this PUT THE JUMPER WIRES ON THE PUMP FIRST THEN CONNECT THEM TO A POWER SOURCE TO KEEP ANY SPARKS AWAY FROM ANY RESIDUAL FUEL THAT MAYBE LEFT ON THE PUMP.
Good Luck Sam

Thanks everyone, going with new fuel pump and hot wire kit from racetronix. The hot wire kit was had made from other order, it did work for two years, but i like the new setup.

Lets hope this help with the NO start.

Back