You can type here any text you want

G-body dual fan kit on F-body radiator?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

d0n_3d

Boost is good.
Does the G-body dual fan kit bolt onto the aluminum Fbody radiator you get from Advance without modification? I won't be running an oil cooler, just the trans cooler. Do those lines connect to this rad without mods? Its been so long since I messed with a stock car, I forgot! I really don't want to mod anything, just drop both items in and go. Reason for this is I'm swapping over my PTE front mount intercooler off my 87 to the new 86. Thanks.

Does the G-body dual fan kit bolt onto the aluminum Fbody radiator you get from Advance without modification?

No, not at all actually. I had to cut the "tabs" off of the dual fans just to get it to squeeze down there, and even then, the whole assembly is wider than the core of the F-Body radiator. I ended up having to fab up a bracket to the top of the fan assembly to hold it into place. Even then, it sits about a 1/2" away from the core. Kinda hard to explain, but if you send me a PM reminding me to take pictures, I will post them up.

Also, no the transmission lines will not connect to the radiator. I just have my tranny hard lines going directly to an external cooler.

One other note: When the fans kick on, they have a tendency to draw a lot of current and will drag the motor down for a second or two even if all the wiring and grounds are good. I even installed that little relay delay module from Casper's that delays the second relay for about 3/4 of a second but it didn't help much. Kind of annoying if you ask me. The fans do move a lot of air though!

As said the "dual fan" tabs will need to be modded to get it to fit. A few years back I helped a friend put an "f-body radiator in his car, and from what I remember the tranny lines did fit with some bending. The radiator he used I believe was a Spectra CU951 w/1.25 core.

fan ears have to come off and you will need to grind the fan support arm for clearance down by the PS box, this is enough to pop into a stock rad between the end tanks , for the f-body the sides have to be shaved off a little more and then it will pop in . i like to put some weather strip on the fan edges to keep it off the rad core.

pop fan in and push it to the bottom, remove the the old stock metal lower support bracket from the old stock fan... flip it upside down and turn it around and mount it at the top under the ac line studs, no screws or drilling needed to hold the fan in .

the rad lines can be bent , takes a little more persuasion for the upper if not running an extra cooler but most run an external trans cooler as well so the upper is easier . pick up a short length of premade 5/16 steel line from the parts store , (or use the original from stock rad) . put short length of steel line in in top of rad and using rubber hose run to your external trans cooler then back to the old upper line

Bring a square to the store with you. I went through 3 of them that were way out of center before I gave up.

how many are running this radiator with the stock fan setup and a 160 thermostat with a front mount? what temps do you see with the stock fan? I'm thinking I might just keep the stocker on it since it don't get really that hot up here in the north...I do have A/C as well

The mounting tabs on the fans and one of the fan brackets need to be cut to fit the turbo Buicks, no matter what radiator you are running. The dual fan kit will work with most radiators, except the aftermarket ones that are much thicker. The f body radiator does fit right in place, but needs modifications to the transmission lines. The f body heater core return line needs to be plugged on the radiator, and there is no oil cooler.

how many are running this radiator with the stock fan setup and a 160 thermostat with a front mount? what temps do you see with the stock fan? I'm thinking I might just keep the stocker on it since it don't get really that hot up here in the north...I do have A/C as well

After going through those 3 bad F-body rads, I had my stocker cleaned well at a local radiator shop (can get you number if you want). With the clean rad, dual fans, and 160 stat, PTE FMIC, my car ALWAYS stayed around 170 in the summer. This was on my old car.

I'd say give you stocker a chance and see how it works.

I don't see a need for dual fans, just keep it simple imo. Also, why no oil cooler on a turbo car??

This is how mine is set up and works great.

GNalumrad%20(9).JPG

You guys are gonna get mad at me. I picked up a dual fan setup...not sure of the manufacturer...and it literally snapped into place in my F-body rad.

i have the g-body dual fans along with a RJC FMIC with a stock rad and it stays below 200 sitting in traffic for extended periods of time with the A/C on with 95 degree heat out.

X's 2 (exactly)

No, not at all actually. I had to cut the "tabs" off of the dual fans just to get it to squeeze down there, and even then, the whole assembly is wider than the core of the F-Body radiator. I ended up having to fab up a bracket to the top of the fan assembly to hold it into place. Even then, it sits about a 1/2" away from the core. Kinda hard to explain, but if you send me a PM reminding me to take pictures, I will post them up.

Also, no the transmission lines will not connect to the radiator. I just have my tranny hard lines going directly to an external cooler.

One other note: When the fans kick on, they have a tendency to draw a lot of current and will drag the motor down for a second or two even if all the wiring and grounds are good. I even installed that little relay delay module from Casper's that delays the second relay for about 3/4 of a second but it didn't help much. Kind of annoying if you ask me. The fans do move a lot of air though!

Back