You can type here any text you want

Gas gauge erratic on 86 T Type

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

eagleguy

My gas gauge likes to read full most of the time, other times it appears to work fine so I never really know how much gas I have in the tank. Is the only solution replacing the sending unit? I know the pump has been hotwired its not noisy and seems to be working OK.

Push on the gauge cluster on the left side and see if that changes it. Its common for a bad connection on the ribbon to dash harness. But its very common to have a bad sending unit to.

Most people immediately blame the sending unit while the gauge is most likely the culprit. Pull the instrument cluster out and remove the three "tangs" that contact the flexible circuit board and reinstall. While you're in there clean the three prongs on the gauge itself. Mine works perfect now after that.

This probably isn't your issue but my VDO gas gauge would show full even after several gallons of gas was burned. Basically the needle would go way past full with a full tank of gas. So I bent the float arm from a 90 degree angle to about a 75 degree angle. Gauge is spot on now. :)

It's most likely a bad connection. Check the harness plug at the tank then check the prongs behind the fuel indicator gauge. It shows "full" when electrically something isn't connected.

Back