You can type here any text you want

Gas Mileage

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

trbodon21

I was looking to buy a Regal limited or just a regular regal (1987) to make my daily driver. I was curious about the gas milage on the non turbo V6's that came in these cars and also the gas milage on the V8. Thanks
-Don

It depends if you have OD transmission like the Th-200r4. A 3.8L from those years, normaly aspirated, have the Th-200 (3 speeds) and could do something like 25 miles per gallons (imperial gallon 4.54 liter) on highway but have an average of 20 miles per gallon (imperial galon). Sorry I don't have the SAE number as here in Canada are working with liters by 100km and imperial gallons.
My car is a stock 78 Century 3.8litre (aka 231 2bbl) Th200 with 2.73 of gear. It should compare with some of the car you're looking for.
If you want I can give you more infos if needed of course.:)

The numbers on that site are close as far as the real world goes. I used to drive a couple of NA Regals as daily transportation and with my 82 with the 3.8 I would average 18-19 MPG just on in town driving, this is with speeds between 35 to 60 MPH and if I kept my foot off the gas. My 83 with the 4.1 could average 17 MPG under the same conditions but forget the high numbers if you cant feather the throttle and forget trying to keep up with the flow of traffic. And forget about seeing the 20's on the highway or interstate, no matter how hard I tried I dont think I ever saw more the 20MPG with either one of these Regals. I think with a 2.41 or 2.73 gear the sweet spot is under 1800 RPM with them for some reason. Now I did have a 85 Riviera with the 307 and that car could get 18MPG in town all day long under the same conditions and with a 2.73 final drive it would always get 22-23 MPG on the interstate with the cruise and AC on.I dont think I ever had to open up the secondaries on this car. I think the key to getting the numbers is to remember these are not fast cars so just drive them like an old lady and forget about trying to keep up with the rice boys.

Back