Gas Tank???

DynamicGN

I'm looking into buying a new gas tank(mine is all banged up)...Is their a special one that people are using..perhaps light weight?? Let me know thanks

Hi:

I went with a Spectra Premium replacement for my rusted original. While some on the board have complained about the way the tank is baffled internally, I've never had a problem. Plus, it's about half the price of a GM original tank.

P.S. don't forget to order new straps (still stocked by GM) - it really dresses up the installation.

HTH

Rich

I had to replace my fuel tank last year and also used a Spectra Premium. I was originally concerned about the difference in the baffling compaired with the stock unit. After the install and running autoslalom courses with only a quarter tank of fuel, I can tell you it works just as good as the stock one. Can't remember what the warranty was on it though.........

D

Would you guys say that the original stock tank is the best one. But for the money the spectra is better???

I ordered a TR gas tank from GM in 2000. It was (as best as I can recall) about $350, and when the thing came in it was beat to death. I told them to keep it.

The problem with many of the stock parts for our cars (the large ones, that aren't easily packaged and where cosmetics matter) is that they've been laying around in a box car for 15 years. Inventories are just about run out, so you're really scraping the bottom of the barrel. A lot of the stuff simply looks like crap. Some of it is returns.

The same thing goes on with front air dams and turbo shields - try to find nice ones. I know some of the vendors stopped supplying chrome plated shields because they couldn't get good "cores"...

:)

Well I found someone that is selling a used but in good condition original gas tank. However, do you guys think this is the best choice or should I go for an aftermarket one? if so what else is there besides the spectra premium?

IMO, a good used tank is preferred:

No baffle issues
No appearance issues
May cost less

Just make sure of what you're getting. Don't get a dented up, scratched up, rust bucket of a plain old Regal tank without the baffle that will starve your ride for fuel.

If it's been refinished make sure they haven't painted over the "evidence".

Eastwood makes paints and coatings that will allow you or a shop to make it look pretty, as well as preserve it. Remember that tanks come galvanized for corrosion resistance, but it doesn't last forever.

:)

GM wanted $635 Can. for a stock replacement tank. I paid around $300 for the Spectra. Since GM has ticked me off enough with crappy service and lack of replacement parts, I had no problem buying the aftermarket.

I swear GM wants all cars 10 years and older to be off the road and scrapped so we have to buy new ones from them.

....GM has 8 more years until they are bought out or go totally bankrupt....

D

.....hmmm...where did that come from?:p

D

Same here...

I couldn't find a GM tank in good condition (and I'm not paying 350+ for something that looksl like it fell off the back of a UPS truck). that's why I went with the Spectra Premium. It really is a close match to the factory tank. Plus, you can polish that sucker up with some Mother's metal polish after it's installed and it looks sweet!

Regarding the baffles - I think you'd have problems in any car if you run around on 1/8th of a tank. I never run with less than a half tank and I've never had problems with the baffling, though I will say there is a significant difference between the factory baffles and the dog dish in the Spectra tank.

FYI - I only paid like 180 bucks for my tank from shop in Northern NJ.

HTH

Rich

Just to let you guys know, I tried to order a new tank from GM last Friday. DISCO as of Oct 31st 2001. Just one more part for our cars, that has fell from the books of GM. :(

87 GN Orginal Owner
Should have bought two. Wait I did, total lost a specail order T Type, Dark blue, Moon roof, 3800 miles.:mad:

My aftermarket tank has been in for 6 years now. No problems with starving and I have driven a few times with the little yellow light on late for work.

I used rustoleum and then undercoat sprayed on mine to protect it. Had to buy and silver solder in the proper neck for the tank too.

Just my .02.

Is the Spectra the same tank as Postons? The baffling on the Poston's replacement looks a lot different than the stock baffling.

I think KendallF has one for sale (used) in Jacksonville. Not too far from you. Might give him a call or email.

Would an Autozone tank be a problem? I am in DC so where do I find a spectra tank. They have a brand named American Designer for 122 bucks. Any opinions???:confused: :confused:

Just make sure it is turbo specific. If in doubt get the part number for an N/A Regal tank too, if both #'s are the same it is really a N/A tank and prolly doesn't have proper baffling for the electric fuel pump..

i bought a brand new original gm tank for$300.00 from jays gn in pa last summer-he also has them with metal baffles for $200.00-matt

I bought one from Auto Zone 2 years ago. It is part specific for the Turbo Regal. No pickup problems with the "Pie Pan" baffle. Ran mine down to less than a quart when installing the Walbro and it still picked up ok. my .02