Gasket Adhesive on Oil Pump Cover?

I'm in the process of doing a new water pump/timing chain/cover/cam button/oil pump/oil pump cover on my '84 GN engine, all stock. All above components are new, either aftermarket (water pump/timing chain/oil pump/cam button) or GM (timing cover/oil pump cover) Should I use any adhesive on the oil pump cover gasket?

Also, I have a stock GM oil pump and a melling HV oil pump. The engine is older and runs great, and I know there is some debate about the advantage/disadvantage of the benefits of runnning the HV pump. Engine milage is unknown, but it is nice and clean inside and seemed to have good oil pressure before I took it apart. Should I run the HV or stock oil pump?

No,

You shouldn't need any sealer on the oil pump cover. Make sure you check and adjust the gear end play. TA Performance make a special gasket kit for this purpose.

You don't need a HV pump if your bearing clearances are OK. Too many downsides to running the bigger pump.

I also like to run the cast iron wear plate between the gears and stock cover. Cast iron makes a much better wear surface.