You can type here any text you want

Gasket between elbow and turbo

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

72firebird

I know that there isn't one but why is that there is no gasket bewteen the elbow and turbo stock? It doesn't make since you can never machine 2 pieces of metal completely smooth so they'll match perfectly. Has anyone tried a gasket or just used permatex on it? Anyone have problems with a leak here?

Not an issue.

No gasket needed unless severly warped.

Only place a sealing issue exists is with the puck. And if you add a gasket and the puck doesnt seal correctly... you'll wish you never messed with it.

HTH

Originally posted by Razor
Not an issue.

No gasket needed unless severly warped.

Only place a sealing issue exists is with the puck. And if you add a gasket and the puck doesnt seal correctly... you'll wish you never messed with it.

HTH

This sounds like the voice of experience ;)

no gasket there, no gasket from header to turbo, and no gasket on header to heads.....there are actually several places on the Tr motor where gaskets are not used on metal to metal surfaces.

Originally posted by 72firebird [/i]
I know that there isn't one but why is that there is no gasket bewteen the elbow and turbo stock? It doesn't make since you can never machine 2 pieces of metal completely smooth so they'll match perfectly. Has anyone tried a gasket or just used permatex on it? Anyone have problems with a leak here?

Actually, the machined surfaces did seal but, once they've gone thru several heat cycles and then seperated the surfaces will not seal up again. Some guys use that sticky copper coat stuff, I use gaskets in all 3 places. I got my header gaskets thru the GSCA, they're made of graphoil, pretty much the same material the stock head gaskets are made of. For the header to the turbo I use a copper gasket and for the elbow to turbo I make my own gasket out of graphoil.

Back