Gasket help

HotAirGN

Im getting ready to pull the heads off my 87 t type to try and figure out why my compression is so low in a cylinder. I was wondering what head gaskets I should use and is there a part number for a top engine gasket kit? Any help appreciated.

you can find the factory style head gaskets at Napa stores they also have the factory black rubber oil pan gasket. You may be able to re use the intake gasket unless the rubbers are shot. good luck.

Just buy a Fel-Pro HS 9441pt head gasket set. It will maintain the proper lifter pre-load. There are many guys using the RJC head gaskets, but it will require the adjustment of lifter pre-load. (do a search on lifter pre-load) Also, avoid the factory rubber oil pan gasket, and purchase a cork pan gasket from one of the vendor listed here. The rubber pan gaskets tend to tear on installation. The intake gasket must be replaced every time, too. It has enbossed metal sealing "rings" that flatten on installation. If re-used, the gasket will not seal correctly. If you use steel shim head gaskets (RJC or Cometic) be SURE to check the intake manifold alignment. Typically with a .039" head gasket, and a Fel-Pro 1200 intake (LARGE port intake gasket, NOT stock replacement gasket) you will NEED to mill approx. .080" off of each side of the intake manifold. Just food for thought. If you keep everything stock (head gaskets-.064" and valley pan intake gasket) you will not have to modify anything. Be sure to replace the head bolts. (ARP) as the stock head bolts are torque to yield, and cannot be re-used. (Although, I think there is a GM service bulliten that allows the re-use, but for $60, why risk it.) I have reused stock head bolts on an engine, and it did run 10.70's, but it was a TTA engine.

I get the 9441PT's from Auto Zone, about $22 each. As far as the intake gaskets go, try this FelPro number, MS96033. I don't think Auto Zone keeps those in stock put my local Advance Auto does. Go figure.

thanks for the replys, as far as head bolts go I can't seem to find a trustworthy ARP part number, and is it $60 per head or for both?

Here are some part numbers for ARP;
123-3603 for Hex head bolts,
123-3703 for 12 Point bolts.
The 123-3603's are listed for about $35 at Summit.
They come as a complete set, for both heads.
Here is where I got those numbers; ARP | Catalog
HTH