You can type here any text you want

Gasoline Smell

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

83turbomon

Starvin Like Marvin...
When I start my car, it smells like pure gasoline and sometimes oil, any advice?

You need to see where the leaks are. Sounds fairly normal to me. LOL

hope its not a leak in the exhaust, Im not trying to DWD (Die while Driving):biggrin: This Really Doesnt sound normal to me. It smells like the inside of my car is a coccoon of gas vapors, but only on startup.

definitly sounds like an exhaust leak.

think about it. when its cold for first start, choke goes to full close and maximum enrichment happens. so the engine runs pig rich until it begins to build heat. and right out the exhaust goes alot of unburned fuel.

thus the smell of raw vapor.

:cool:A.j.

Remember that your car gets cabin air from the base of the windshield. Try putting the A/C controls on Max when you start the car to see if you don't smell it. It shuts off the outside air. If you're smelling raw gas (like straight out of the tank) then you may have an issue but if it goes away after a few minutes then it may be nothing more than the choke being closed a little to much.

Old cars have a lot of gasoline vapors escaping from under the hood compared to newer cars, so some odor is normal.

Check the vapor recovery canister. Sometimes they fill with gasoline and leak from the bottom. Also check the rubber hoses between the fuel pump and frame.

Thanks Rich. I forgot about that little problem. See if you still have a charcol canister. It should be on the drivers side behind the headlights.

Yeah mine smells like pure gas too and it doesn't leak gas or exhaust(just oil, tran, brake, steering and coolant):rolleyes: I look and smell like exhaust after running it in the garage:biggrin:

LMAO:biggrin: This is true. I expect a lot of things, but it never happens... kinda like asking for a gift from a "Mall Santa" its full of disappointments:(:biggrin:

Back