You can type here any text you want

Gauge showed knock but....

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

ChrisCairns

the B2B FAST system didn't when I play it back.

I'm messing around with tuning in my new alcohol system and the Caspers gauge showed 3 lights but when I played back the data there wasn't any apparent knock showing up.

Can anyone explain this? Thanks.

Tell me how and where you have the knock sensor hooked up to the FAST unit, and the type of knock sensor you have. The knock sensor input on the FAST is quite simple; when you switch it to ground, it is active. It will roll timing out at the rate you specify up to the maximum amount you tell it to pull out, if it is active for long enough to do so. When it is released from ground, it is inactive and it adds the timing back in.

Do you have the same knock sensor feeding the gauge and the FAST unit?

Originally posted by Craig Smith
Tell me how and where you have the knock sensor hooked up to the FAST unit, and the type of knock sensor you have. The knock sensor input on the FAST is quite simple; when you switch it to ground, it is active. It will roll timing out at the rate you specify up to the maximum amount you tell it to pull out, if it is active for long enough to do so. When it is released from ground, it is inactive and it adds the timing back in.

Do you have the same knock sensor feeding the gauge and the FAST unit?

Thanks for reply Craig.

In answer to your questions: It is the stock sensor going to the stock ESC module. I soldered the signal wire from the gauge directly to the signal wire at the ESC module. (Pink/black?) whatever was in the instructions from Caspers. This was some time ago and I'm going from poor memory. And I only have one knock sensor....feeding the stock module.

The FAST unit has been in the car for 2 years....and I didn't do anything special with the knock sensor....I just assumed the FAST system was already wired to recognize knock from the stock sensor and remove timing.

Was I supposed to do something to the FAST computer/wiring in order to activate the knock detection portion of the B2B?

The knock sensor module needs to be connected to pin H1 of the FAST. Do you have this connection? Also, take a look at the ESC Parameters screen. It sets the max amount of timing retard, and the attack and decay rate of the timing to be removed/added. If the max amount is set to 0, you won't see any timing retard when the knock sensor activates.

Hope this helps... have a good weekend!

The knock sensor module needs to be connected to pin H1 of the FAST. Do you have this connection? Also, take a look at the ESC Parameters screen. It sets the max amount of timing retard, and the attack and decay rate of the timing to be removed/added. If the max amount is set to 0, you won't see any timing retard when the knock sensor activates.

Hope this helps... have a good weekend!

Ahhhh, maybe I DONT have the connection. If it didn't come prewired into the harness then that's the answer. And yes, I do have "other than zero" in the ESC parameter screen.

One more question if you don't mind. When you say the ESC module must be connected to H1, are you referring to the module signal wire or the ground wire you referred to earlier, and if the signal wire can I simply solder an extention wire onto H1 from the signal wire on the module.

Thanks again for taking the time to answer.

Connect pin H1 on the ECU to the signal wire coming out of the knock sensor module and you should be good to go. When I was referring to a "ground wire" I was actually referring to the ESC signal wire. It switches to ground when active.

Go hook 'em up and have a knock-free Easter weekend. :D

Connect pin H1 on the ECU to the signal wire coming out of the knock sensor module and you should be good to go. When I was referring to a "ground wire" I was actually referring to the ESC signal wire. It switches to ground when active.

Go hook 'em up and have a knock-free Easter weekend. :D

Thanks !! And I hope that you and yours have a nice Easter also.

Just remember....the brown "eggs" from the bunny aren't edible. Well, maybe they are edible....but they taste like $hit. :D

Do the PTE adapter wiring (for turbo Regals) have this connection already? I'd assume so. The reason I ask is one car i did never saw "knock" even 22psi/19degrees timing/93 octane

Back