You can type here any text you want

Gen 7 or FAST, which to chose?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
They ran richer, plus they had a provision for getting more air through (hold open the butterflies further etc).

On the early Holley ProJection, they used a high-idle soldnoid that held the butterflies open a bit further when it was cold.

Even on some carb'd cars (my brother's '73 Lesabre, for example), a solenoid was used to hold the butterfiles open a bit further when the A/C comes on.

-Bob Cunningham
bobc@gnttype.org

Originally posted by bobc455

Even on some carb'd cars (my brother's '73 Lesabre, for example), a solenoid was used to hold the butterfiles open a bit further when the A/C comes on.

-Bob Cunningham
bobc@gnttype.org

I bellieve 73 was the start of catalytic converters? I believe they solenoids were for 2 reasons depending on the car/motor. The 6 cylinder cars used them for anti-dieseling (Old Chevy Nova's w/250's come to mind). Theyd pop the throttle open to curb idle, then at key off, completely shut the throttle blades to try to keep it from runing on. IN the 80's they started energizing the AC clutch at key off as well. But if it was to raise the idle up with accessories on, it was during the gas mileage and emissions era, where cars ran MUCH leaner, and getting that silky smooth idle was more difficult. Also notice, in that era, spark plug gaps got really wide. Like 75 Cady's were at .080!!

Ahh..were getting off topic now :p

You can have a custom dual sync distributor made with the Gen VII so you can run sequential. Its a nice piece and is definitely opening quite a few doors for guys who do decide to go with the Gen VII. OEM is sequential now on most apps, why not do the same? The Gen VII also has some built in correction factors whether open or closed loop due to the fact it has a target A/F table.

Gotta give a big thumbs up to the FAST camp. I know each sytstem has it's own unique features that may make it better for certain applications. I also know (first hand :D ) that the tech support from Craig at FAST is second to none, If I had to pick a managment system again I would go with the FAST.

Originally posted by DFIfixah
You can have a custom dual sync distributor made with the Gen VII so you can run sequential. Its a nice piece and is definitely opening quite a few doors for guys who do decide to go with the Gen VII.

You can use the dual sync distributor with SEFI FAST box too, not just the Gen VII.

I would reccomend the Accel distributor, the MSD seems to have some issues

This is how I set up my cam sensor on my Twin Turbo Olds motor. Im using a MSD crank trigger for the ignition, and a Accel distributor with all the teeth broken off the reluctor except one, I left the original pick up in the distributor ( that is now my cam sensor) and made the reluctor phasable, thus I can phase the spark at 25* with the crank trigger and still mover the reluctor to 45* for the cam sync. Rodney is running a belt drive for his camshaft made by BOP but becareful he broke two belts of the old design !!!! Bending every valve in the motor and kissing the pistons, If you go with the belt drive make sure you get the new gates belt. Rodney is not using an IAC. The turbos are Turbonetics 88mm units. Look for some changes on the car for the upcomming year, turbos will be moved forward and IC will be redone along with charge tubes. JBP is only 10 minutes from my house, Rod is a good friend of mine, heck I even let him run the ECU off my digger. LOL

TD2593, if you don't mind me asking can you give me some info on your Twin Turbo Olds motor like what block, crank, rods, pistons, heads, turbos, etc. you are using?
TIA :)

No problem, the block is a NasCar Oldsmobile block ( based off the 350 diesel ) except the DX has 3 inch mains the NasCar block has 2.5 std Olds small block main size and beefier bottom. The heads are Batten Olds 350 CFM intakes 255 CFM exhaust. Rods are GRP 6 inch aluminum, Ross 4.130 bore pistons 8.02 to 1 comp, Moldex forging at 3.700 stroke 2.100 rod pin for 397 cid. Turbos are Turbonetics T-76 Q trim, 1 7/8 stainless headers. Intake manifold is a sheet metal, with three spearco liquid cores mounted to the top of the intake and a holley 95 mm TB. FAST SEFI with wide band 160lb per hr inj. All this is mounted between the frame rails of my rear engine dragster at 1800lbs. Looking to go really fast this spring. Looking to make 1700 hp on Meaneys dyno. Hoping for 4.00's in the 1/8th if the chassis will handle it.

Sounds like a killer combo and with 1700hp and an 1800lb dragster you shouldn't have a problem running 4.00's in the 1/8th (as long as the chassis can handle all that power like you mentioned)!:eek: I was just curious about your combo because my friend found an Olds Rocket race block for a good price and he is seriously considering building it with a big single turbo (something like a 91mm thumper or 100mm turbo) to run deep in the 8's or possibly 7's with his 3400lb '67 Camaro.... It's either that or he's probably going to build it with an iron Chevy Dart block, but I'd rather see him build the Olds motor and be different from every other Camaro out there:D The thought of a turbo Olds powered Camaro just makes me think happy happy thoughts;) LOL! Thanks again for the info and good luck with your Twin Turbo Olds powered dragster:cool:

Back