You can type here any text you want

gen6 DFI map wiring

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

turbo6man

Hi guys, I am installing a gen6 in my hybrid that I had purchased off this board. It did not come with the map sensor wiring. I tried to search this forum but was unable to find any information. Does anyone know how to wire up the map sensor? Thanks, James

Are you using a buickgn harness in the hybrid or a custom harness?

Hi, and thanks for the reply. I bought a wiring harness off of this board and removed everything except the computer wiring and shortened it to fit. So far I have powered up the ECM and it communicates to the laptop and when I use laptops "V" hotkey to see sensor inputs, I have witnessed the TPS react as it should (on laptop) to opening the throttle and also when I warm up the MAT sensor with my hand I see it change on the laptop in temp as well. I have concerns about using an old wiring harness and having the "BAD CONNECTIONS GREMLINS WREAKING HAVOC ON ME".
For my MAP wiring, I am thinking you take the MAF output wire and use it for the MAP output. When testing the MAF reference voltage today, I noticed it uses a 12V reference. So I figure that is why they want you to get your power from the TPS because it uses a 5V reference. IS this right??? Thanks again, James

If you put 12 volts to the map sensor you will fry it. You use the center wire from the maf to (grey with red stripe) signal to the center wire of the map sensor pin B. You can then take 5volts and ground branched off the tps sensor. Read here on map sensors. And don't forget the numbers in your timiing map are about 6 degrees out. If you show 20 on the map its really higher 26 or so

http://www.robietherobot.com/storm/mapsensor.htm

That is what I will do for the wiring of the MAP. I had'nt heard that the timing map was off, do you know why this is, and is off by about 6 degrees across the whole timing map? Thanks again, I really appreciate the help. James

From the Emic manual this is what is says:

Buick GN timing procedure - Due to the differences
between this ignition system, in comparison
to a Chevrolet or Ford, the timing verification
procedue is unique. Our spark/fuel ECU that is
identified for a GN (74025) is only compatible
with the stock coil packs. The cam sensor must be
set to the factory position of 25° ATDC, and as
mentioned earlier, a Buick knock sensor and module
needs to be sourced but can use our 74173
harness kit. Since there is no mechanical way to
adjust the timing on this engine, the routine of
using a map of all the same values does not apply.
For these engines use the following procedure:
1) Use an adjustable timing light and the
CALMAP software to verify timing.
2) There will be a difference between the timing
read on the harmonic balancer vs. the CALMAP.
The timing read in the ignition map will be the
actual timing and what is read on the balancer
will be twice what the actual timing is plus an
error of 12°. For example: 52° on the balancer
would actually be 52-12 = 40/2 = 20° actual
timing.
3) This variation in the reading is due to the
nature of this ignition system which incorporates
a waste spark firing.
Buick GN

On my car it ended being 6 degrees out. So i suggest you put a timing light on it and see what you get subtract as shown above.

Wow

I will use this procedure to check it out when I get it running, Thanks again, James

It worked!!!

Thanks for your help! I wired up the map sensor and It works great. I monitored it on the laptop and it works fine. Well, I finished the map sensor and I set up the cam sensor. Hit the key and it fired right up YEEEHAAAA!!! This is a 5 year project and it is alive. The fuel mapping is not correct because the program I have in it is for 72lb injectors and I actually have 75lb injectors. I am going to post a new thread to see if anyone has fuel maps for 75lb injectors. I am new to the accel program. I am comfortable with crusing the software but would like to see what is a good starting amount of fuel to take out for the initial running of the 75's. thanks again for everything, James

What did you come up with the timing ? Was it off?

Hi, I hav'nt checked the timing yet, I was concerned about running the 75lb injectors for to long with the 72lb injector mapping. The ACCEL tuning book stated that I should be very careful because on fuel injected applications you can wash the rings easly. I figured out how to adjust the overal map by a percentage, and I ordered an inovative motorsports wide band setup. It should be here next week so I will trim the map back and run it again. I will also check the timing and let you know what is next week. Thanks again, James

OHHYEA, what do you set your initail fuel pump pressure at with the vac line unplugged?

Back