You can type here any text you want

General rotor phasing question

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

norbs

Classic fast, XFI, SPortsman & MS3 programming
Hi, I posted this on the CPG forum but no answer, so I thought someone might chime in here.
I know we want to phase the leading edge of the rotor at the timing you want to run at WOT/load , but if you can't get it where you want, is it safer to have it more retarded or advanced from the ideal number? Or would both be bad as it would cross fire to the adjacent cylinder...
thanks
Norb

My opinion: Max spark load happens at max ve since thats when you have max cylinder pressure. Max spark load has the highest risk of the spark jumping to another terminal. So phase it at the same timing number you have at max ve.

I would really be surprised if you had it jump to another cylinder. It has to be pretty far off. Is your cam sync preventing this? Are you checking rotor pase with a timing light?

I would really be surprised if you had it jump to another cylinder. It has to be pretty far off. Is your cam sync preventing this? Are you checking rotor pase with a timing light?

Cam sync is around 95 degrees when in DIS mode, but I set it at around 30 degrees based on the balancer timing mark, but this is not the issue, I have the rotor phased at 20 degrees, its just a hypothetical situation I'm talking about. Lets say I use a timing map with 18 degrees for pump gas then next pass I want to put in c-16 and run 26 degrees, I'm not going to re-phase the rotor,,do I need to worry about this? Or would it be better to put the rotor at 26 degrees all the time, or 20 degrees? This is my question...

No you won't need to worry about it. I have customers raise and lower their boost all the time (thus changing timing) without changing the rotor phasing. If you watch the rotor while turning the crank, you will see it takes a lot of movement before the rotor gets very far away from the post

OK , thanks next question..........what if I put in 45 degrees timing for cruise......no spark issues? Or lets add to this whats the max timing you can run on the DIS system with 10 ref angle? 50 degrees?

I set it up looking at the balancer when i dropped the distributor in, but my cam sync adjustment I used loctite on it and its now very difficult to work with...

OK , thanks next question..........what if I put in 45 degrees timing for cruise......no spark issues? Or lets add to this whats the max timing you can run on the DIS system with 10 ref angle? 50 degrees?

I have run as much as 46 degrees with a CRA of 6 on a dizzy setup under a mild load.

As for max CCCI timing, I haven't seen a need to hit 50 yet. I have tried mid 40's. Are you monitoring your BPW or MPG at that high of timing? The reason I ask is because I haven't seen a mileage gain going much over 40. Perhaps it was the CCCI holding me back and not the engine

I have run as much as 46 degrees with a CRA of 6 on a dizzy setup under a mild load.

As for max CCCI timing, I haven't seen a need to hit 50 yet. I have tried mid 40's. Are you monitoring your BPW or MPG at that high of timing? The reason I ask is because I haven't seen a mileage gain going much over 40. Perhaps it was the CCCI holding me back and not the engine

No the car is not drivable ,and wont be for a while. I just wanted to know the max timing that is possible to run since the DIS configuration changes things from the conventional crank trigger set up.

Back