Get larger turbo or get alky??

radtech

If you had the supporting mods in place, would it be better to get a larger turbo OR install alky if you currently had a STOCK turbo. Keeping in mind that I run race fuel to get me around 95 octane here in Arizona. Not sure what road to go down:frown:

More info needed.

You may want to list ur supporting mods and ur goals before I would feel informed enough to give my opinion.

I can't imagine that going alcy first would'nt be a wise decision. That stuff just works and is great insurance incase you get crappy gas which can happen from time to time. If you get a bigger turbo after alcy it's even sweeter.
Alcy is kinda of a fuel enrichment/enhancement, that's always a good thing for high boost situations, right?:)

Alky all the way.. detonation is what kills these cars ...go Alky then run pump gas and the $$$$ you save on race fuel can pay for a turbo and other mods :biggrin:

get alky that very expensive 95 octane mix wont do crap for your car maybe a pound of boost run alky and save money and be able to run 10 more psi and more timing

Mods are:
Headers
CAI
42lb inj
HP fuel pump
TT street chip for 93
Adj fuel regulator
Aftermarket boost guage
ScanMaster 2.1

Might want to lose the headers until you're running a lot faster, a lot of guys agree that the stock manifolds will actually perform better on most cars.

Anyways I would do the alky first and get a matching turbo tweak chip so you can bump up the timing and have correct fueling. You'd be surprised how fast the car will feel with the stock turbo once you're spraying alky. I installed my kit months ago and still haven't gotten around to turning up the boost because it's a handful just the way it is now.

What is the goal?

The bigger turbo wont do anything unless you crank the boost up. Actually you'll slow down unless you do a converter to match it.

If you crank up the boost.. then the alky will suppress the knock.. allowing you to squeeze more out of it.

Maybe i'll say it like this, the fastest stock turbo car ran 11.37 at 116 on pump gas 92 and alky. So the potential of a stock turbo(in good working order) should not be underestimated.

Bigger is not always better.. especially on these cars. As they are sensitive to combinations.

Mods are:
Headers
CAI
42lb inj
HP fuel pump
TT street chip for 93
Adj fuel regulator
Aftermarket boost guage
ScanMaster 2.1

If you have the money this is what I would do:
Get the ALKY, TT alky chip, and larger injectors (60lb mototrons)!

* The reason I say these things is if you get the alky kit you have to get the chip to match anyway so you might as well get a injector that will support future mods and high boost with out running out of injector. I know Alky lowers the duty cycle but when your planning on higher boost and a possible turbo up-grade in the future you will not have to be worried about running out of injector or having another chip done.

Scot w.

A wise man will listen carefully to Razor's experience :)

I'd run Alchy and a manual boost controller. Your injectors have a lot of room remaining....We still don't know your goals or intentions, so we're all just shooting in the dark :)

You'll need tires when you raise the boost...That would be way before you need a turbo or injectors. :cool:

I guess I don't have any plans in particular. I would just like to have a pretty fast street car. Don't plan on drag racing. I am already starting to see that I will need slicks/drag radials soon. Once I see around 17lbs of boost, I start to go sideways:biggrin:

Your injectors have a lot of room remaining....We still don't know your goals or intentions, so we're all just shooting in the dark.
This statement is confusing! You say he has alot of room with his injectors but in the same sentance you say you don't know his goals! so how do you know if the injectors would be good? My info was 100% commonsense not a shot in the dark! Yeah, get the Alky kit then you WILL have to get the TT Alky chip to match! (commonsense!) As far as injectors go, Example: I have a buddy that has 42lb injectors, Razors Alky kit and a TA-49 turbo running 27lbs boost and those injectors are borderline at that boost! I personally had a TE-44 with 60lb injectors and they worked awsome! then I switched to the TE-45a and I still had alot of room left with the 60lb injectors @ 28lbs of boost. So, Since we don't know his goals and like most of us we just don't stop at one point I think the injectors should be up-graded, it won't hurt gas milage, it won't hurt the set-up, it will only provide more room for protection. you do what you want, it's your engine!

He asked for opinions and thats what he got! Good luck!

Scot w.

I guess I don't have any plans in particular. I would just like to have a pretty fast street car. Don't plan on drag racing. I am already starting to see that I will need slicks/drag radials soon. Once I see around 17lbs of boost, I start to go sideways:biggrin:

If the stock turbo is still in good condition and not needing replaced right away.

I would go with the alky kit from Razor,Turbo Tweak chip for the 42lb injectors and alky and some m/t drag radials and with some tuning you will have a very fast street car.

Ps, like any other car you modify for more power you have to learn to drive it.