You can type here any text you want

Getting a "decent" sound for cruising

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Beast_TR

Hey I first off want to say that when it comes to car audio I am a complete and udder retard. Hence why I am here to actually learn something to benefit and maybe even get a decent sound in my GN out of it.

First off I would like to avoid buying new stuff if possible although I am open to the idea. Here is what I have now that I can remember (car is in the states I am not...:( ) I have a Pioneer head-unit not sure of the model but I would say it is on the lower end, Alpine 4x6 front speakers again not sure of the model previous owner purchased these, Kenwood 4x10 rear speakers from crutchfield, and since the previous owner deleted all factory speaker wiring I am running it all through a Crossfire CFA555S amp that I had laying around from a previous car. I have had the amp for a while and it was expensive back in 2001 when I bought it ($500) so I wanted to hang on to it, plus it had sentimental value (Long story short had one in a car from previous owner, was stolen, insurance bought new one, car got totalled before I could install so it sat new in box till I got GN).

The previous owner had wired everything before I bought the car and I really wish he had not since I have had nothing but problems since. I hit a bump sound goes out, hit another and it comes back so I am going to rewire the entire system from scratch again to ensure that it is right this time. Any suggestions on wire brand, size? Power wire? Ground wire? I may reuse some of what he had if any of it is salvageable after I rip it out. I am sure the power wire is fried literally as he routed it on top of the downpipe (exposed wire causing a short?) My next problem is it seems he only set up the front speakers to work with an amp because I had to put my rear speaker wire in the front speaker slot on my amp in order for them to work. What would I need to do in order for it to work for both? I looked at the back of my head unit and it seems that there is only one connection for speaker cable and I have a bunch of speaker wire sitting back there and only one can be plugged in, do I need some sort of splitter to get the rears working properly?

So is there anything you guys would suggest I do? I also have an old Sony Xplode 10" subwoofer laying around I could use to add some bass if needed. I have also considered a new head unit, maybe one I could plug my iPod into? I am open so any suggestions. Also I have thought about the door panels that Gbodyparts.com sells or would those be overkill?

Car audio upgrade

First, I replaced the head unit with one of the new Pioneer units. I have an xtreme amplifier (600W) and have removed and replaced the stock speakers with a quality Pioneer speaker. The dash speakers are a real pain. I found that the wires for the dash speakers were touching the metal, shorting one of them out intermittently. I purchased some used Concert Sound II baskets for the doors. There is a powered Bazooka Tube (10") strapped in the trunk. I am happy with the results.

Things I learned:
Alpine head units "pop" the speakers when the head unit powers up.
Alpine head units don't have very good FM reception.
If retrofitting CS II, don't let amateurs do it. I had to have the supports rewelded in the door to restore the integrity when the other shop cut the support to put in the speakers.:mad:

Good luck.

Always had great performance and quality with Kenwood head units, amps, and cd players.

I recently installed Boston Acoustic speakers in my 87 and for the price nothing comes close.

IMO Eclipse units have the cleanest sound. You will need amps to power the speakers but you need amps to power and good set of speakers correctly.

A Bozooka tube is not really effieient for that amout of airspace to move. I had one in my last GN and it sounded better then stock obviously but it really lacked that tight pounch and the ability to hit the lower frequencies. It was a little blurry IMO. Two each his own I guess.....

Back