getting cracked headers welded, where to go? what to expect?

FlaBoy

Just a good ole boy...
Hey guys,

I need to get my stock headers welded up (they have cracks in the typical spots where the primaries join). I was wondering where I should go to get this done? Is this the sort of thing a plain old exhaust shop would be able to handle, or should I call around to welding shops in the area? Any idea on what this should cost? I ended up spending more money on the engine R&R than I had originally planned (something I'm sure you can understand) so money is a concern.

Also, are there any specific instructions I should pass on to the welder? I was thinking any specific materials/techniques he should use that you guys have figured out through experience which he may not come up with on his own (I have never welded, so kinda at a loss here).

Lastly, if anyone has any specific suggestions of places in the Tampa Bay (FL) area that I should go to for this, please let me know. Of course, if there's anyone in the area with the necessary equipment/skills who would be willing to help out a fellow turbo buick owner for nothing more than a modicum of cash and a case of cold beer:biggrin: just let me know!

I think they are mild stainless so i don't think you want just any bozo with a welder to try it.I had the 3-5 crack done by a fellow racer.No charge.Not the prettiest job but it's held for over 15 yrs. The 2-4 crack was done by a machine shop.Charged me 20 or 30 bucks.Very nice weld.So it shouldn't cost that much to have done by a pro.Check with local weld or machine shops.Get some idea of what the cost would be.Most small shops are eager for any work they can get.

I welded a DS header for a buddy/fellow member several years ago.

The biggest thing is surface prep.

I just used a regular mig welder with er70 wire and argomix gas.

I ground and cleaned the cracked area as best as possible, then welded it.

After sealing up the cracks, I made a small triangular gusset and welded it in place. A couple years of hard abuse and it never cracked again. :D

THIS is the car I welded the header on...
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/cars-sale/277600-1987-buick-t-type.html