You can type here any text you want

Getting more sound form the trunk to the cabin?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Sleeper-6

OK, I read a bunch of old posts on this but have a new twist on things. I currently have an Image Dynamics IDMAX in a sealed box that is about 1.4 cubic feet wired a 1 ohm driven bay a Memphis MC1000D. I built my own box/amp rack that goes a cross the package tray with the sub facing the rear. Now with the trunk open it will rattle your rib cage if you're standing back there, but it doesen't sound nearly as impressive inside the car.

From what I've read porting the deck isn't what Iwant to do, And I really don't feel like removing the torsion bars.

I did read about I believe Audiowizard doing a custom rear deck in a Caddy. Has anybody tried something similar in a Buick? I'm not planing on cutting up the metal suppost structure, but If I were to make a deck frame and cover it with acousticaly transparent gray grill cloth to replace the pressboard and carpet factory piece It should let more of the sound/pressure through while still maintaining a fairly low porfile. I'm hoping to open up enough area so that it doesen't act like a tuning port but more of just passage way.
What do you think?

Sleeper-6,
I've done basically the same thing. But, I went to a junkyard and got another cardboard package shelf. Stripped the carpet off, painted gray and recovered in 2 layers of grill cloth. Only really works well if there are no speakers in the rear deck. Kinda flies under the radar and is a real b!*%$ to keep clean. You can buy acoustically transparent carpet. I can't remember where I saw it, maybe Parts Express. Just Goole it, you'll get some hits.

I've also modified the rear seat. Pulled the seat cover off and covered the front of the seat with a mesh screen. This allowed the seat to still support the seat cover after I removed about 3/4 of the foam behind it. I will not try that again unless I plan on no rear passengers. I had to repair it a couple of times, major PITA.

The best luck I've had is to face the sub foward (no rear deck speakers) and seal off the front of the sub box from the rest of the truck. This forces all the sub bass into the passenger area. While a rear facing sub is impressive for looks and does re-enforce low bass a lot of the sub engery is wasted vibrating the trunk panels. Good luck.

Put the subs facing the trunk. You will get much deeper bass than subs firing foreword. Increase wavelength distance - simple physics. Then to let some of the bass energy get into the cabin I took out the 4 x10' s and put in 4" in sealed enclosures. Bass energy goes through the vacated openeing where the 4 x 10 used to be. No cutting whatsoever. I tried to similar cabinets, one firing foreword and one firing toward the trunk, with the same power and hands down the trunk firing setup gets the most deep bass and impact.

hehe...the wavelenth of the sub bass is....alot larger than a buick regal..so just how do we get that in the passenger compartment???..just point the subs...any direction you wish...it dont matter!...simple physics

Back