You can type here any text you want

GM CD or Pioneer

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

dgreen1069

I'm thinking about replacing my head unit and speakers. I'm debating between the DIN & 1/2 Pioneer CD players or a factory GM CD player. The Pioneer has 22 watts RMS power.....anyone have an idea of what the newer factory radios have? If I was to go with a GM radio, do the brackets off my old radio bolt directly onto the new radio? Do I need to look for a specific GM radio, or will all they all work (right size of course).

Also, who makes nicer speakers...Pioneer or Rockford Fosgate? I was using the fitment chart at Crutchfield.com.

The pioneer will have more power than the stock deck, and will be better suited to run aftermarket speakers. Also much more likely to play custom burnt cds. About the only advantage the factory cd player has IMO is a somewhat stock look. I have no experience with rockford speakers but the pioneers I've had in the past went through some serious hell, and they still work today. This is just my opinion, your results may vary.

hope this helps

bob

Thanks for the reply....this section of the forum seems to be a little slow...any advice is greatly appreciated.

This forum is a little slow, but there are a handful of VERY experienced car stereo buffs floating around this site. I've tinkered with it quite a bit and still read everything i can on it (Glenn White's Audio Dictionary takes awhile), but these guys put me to shame. You want sheer traffic? http://forum.sounddomain.com/ ;) but I'll tell you in advance the advice is better here.

bob

Go with the Pioneer CD

But not the DIN & 1/2 radios. Go with an installation kit to fit the standard DIN radios. The aftermarket are much cheaper has more features and better sound quality.

If you got with an stock delco cd you might have a problem fitting the stock brackets on.

Speakers,

Pioneer make so much different speakers it's makes it hard to fine one that sounds good and to fit your budget. But IMO they sound "ok". Rockford's also sound 'ok" but these are the punch series speakers price are about the same on both.

My choice on drop in speakers are eclipse.

OEM or aftermarket - it kind of depends on what your end goals are.

If you NEVER plan to add outboard amps, a newer OEM will be fine.
Does an aftermarket deck have more power? Maybe, maybe not...if so it's only going to be by a few watts.

Any OEM radio with side mount brackets will work. You'll just have to look and see what is what to know what will fit.
With a little enginuity, you can make any of the DIN & 1/2 fit.

Speaker wise - let your ears decide. A 3.5 in the dash w/ 4X10 in the rear is probably the worst speaker set up in history...get some CSII door lowers and it'll help but, not by much

Just for future reference - More power (ie: outboard amp) helps a bunch. It might be something to keep in mind.

Ask 5 people for a recommendation on a speaker and youll likely get 5 different brands.
Looking at stuff on a website is no substitute for going into a stereo shop and actually listening to and playing around with the stuff.
If you want to buy stuff online, I would suggest a trip to a local installer first to actually test some items. You may find theres a difference, maybe there isnt. Im a firm believer that aftermarket is usually better than OEM. Simply because if the OEM can save a few bucks making the radio, they will.

Honestly, you may not even hear a difference in speakers, some people dont. You have to let your ears and your budget dictate what you will buy. If you can hear the difference between brand X and brand Y, go with what you can afford.
And limiting yourself to a DIN + 1/2 for a radio choice will cut out a lot of potentially great head units.

I appreciate the responses guys. I'm pretty familiar with stereo's in general....I used to upgrade everything in my other vehicles. My GN is very low mileage and is bone stock....I don't want to mess with it too much, I just need some better sound. I do have the Concert II option so I do have the 6 speaker setup. I'd keep the original head unit if I thought it would sound OK, but even the top of the line stereo back then didn't have much built in power. I'd love to put a nice amp in the car, but I refuse to cut into the car for anything....to much value is lost when you do that.

Why do you cut the car up to put in an amp?
easy in, easy out if you plan accordingly

If you get the later model GM Monsoon units they're 54 watts per channel w/o the factory amp.

Is that RMS or Max? I ended up purchasing the Pioneer. I hated spending as much as I did when you can get better DIN size radios for less....but I don't like the way the adapters look on our cars.

Seems to me it was RMS rather than Max but I couldn't swear to it. I do know that it'll thump the speakers pretty good on Bass sounds. :) If you want more info on the Monsoon's go to http://ls1.com in their Electronics/ Radios/Radar Detector section or http://ls1tech.com in the Stereo & Electronics section and search or ask there. Also with the GM HU you can use the factory 12 disc changer along with a factory cable and mount it in the trunk.
HTH.
Larry.

Dgreen1069, That Din &1/2 Head unit is a great piece of equipment. I had it in my We4 and was thrilled with the power and the flexability it provides. It is easily 10 times better than what came in car. It also has enough power to drive a sub at moderate levels as well as the equalization and crossover settings to fine tune everthing, not to mention it also has additional outputs for future upgrades (amp....). I also liked the way it filled the entire space up and the grey color looked nice in my car which had the grey interior seats and plastic trim.

Back