GN cross country drive- am I nuts?

Back in 2004, my wife, 2 dogs and I packed up the minivan for a trip from Virginia to Florida to visit family for Christmas. About 100 miles from home, the transmission in the minivan went out.

Luckily, I have AAA plus and was able to get towed back home. At that time we had the GN, a BMW Z3, and the minivan. Well the Z3 is a two-seater, so we decided to load up my then, 53,000 mile GN and make the trip.

I only had time to check the oil and then me, the wife, and two large (75 lb.) dogs were on our way to Florida, 1800 miles roundtrip. The GN made it without a hiccup, even though it rained buckets the entire drive down. I have the air filter down low on the drivers side so I was a little worried.

I got 27.3 mpg for the trip.

I say enjoy the car, they are a pleasure to drive. Good luck!

I think it will be fun, and a great "bonding" experience for me and the car. :tongue: I have had it 2 1/2 years, and am just now hitting my 1,000 mile mark. It has been a long hard road, from HG's getting ate up, to main bearings, to never ending KR, the IC swap, etc. The engine has been in and out about 9 times. Right now I am building a new front cover for it, fixing a few things, and looking into the F body radiator. And maybe alky, for safety of course. :D

Do it. It will be fun. My dad has taken his T's thruout the years on trips. Never had a hiccup except 450 miles from home without brakes. Powermasters....Now all our cars are equiped with vacuum brakes.

mark_123456 said:
I got 27.3 mpg for the trip.

That's pretty good. I get 27-28 MPG everytime I drive my Zo6 across the country (Denver to Florida 2100 miles each way).

I drove mine the 210mile round trip to work for 4 months with no problems. I even "played" on the freeway a few times. But I agree with louie, don't play if you're going to be that far from home. And bring tools.