You can type here any text you want

GN Delco AM FM cassette player?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Little6pack

I bought a spare GN radio & placed it in my GN while my original was being fixed for a bad cassette belt.

This Temp radio unit works fine as a cassette player but hardly hauls in radio stations. I made sure the antenna was plugged in. In fact when I touch the antenna wire the reception worsens.

Any idea?

Put the orginal back in and see if it gets better reception.:)

Those radio's were junk. The tuner is shot in that one. The belts all broke and the tuners and amps were for **** in all the radio's back then. Upgrade!!! :) Like me ->
Picture_032.jpg

Nice set-up, Jim.
Looks like you sort of copied Frank's set up. Or did he copy yours?
Can I use a Delco-Bose Monsoon AM-FM-CD out of an '03 or '04 vette, or would it be easier to use an '02 or earlier?

Of course I stole the idea from Frank! Is'nt that what friends are for?? :p Any of the newer radio's like that style are good. If you can get one with a fan even better. They came out with the fan radio's to cool down the CD player. The entire radio runs a little cooler. But either way it's a "stock" looking radio.. it's a "GM" radio.. and it sounds real good! :) Just go on ebay and search for GM CD RADIO and a bunch will pop up. Just keep in mind THIS radio will not work. One din to big for our cars. Good Luck! :cool:

Oops: The reason that i was asking is that I want that same model that you have because it it the same one that is in my '02 Z06. Both you and Frank have such nice looking TR'S. But back to my original question. Is there any benefit to using that model out of an '03 or later as compared as to an '02 or earlier. The reason that i am asking is that when I see the units advertised they are always broken up into year groups such as '97-02.

Well as long as it's that style the newer the better. As GM always improved it's electronics over the years. If you can get the newest one in that style with the fan you should be ok. As far as power differences I don't think you'll notice much with all of the newer ones. Good luck and let us know how you make out! :cool:

Jim (phillyturbosix) or Frank:
Do either of you guys know about this. I was told by someone on e-bay selling both an '03 & '04 Delco Bose Monsoon out of a Camaro or Vette that the '03's & '04's can only use the self powered speakers in the dash that come with the unit. Is this the change between the '02 and earlier compared to the '03 & later?
I need to know what unit to but please.

hmm got me stumped on that one. Never knew GM had some self powered speakers.. Hopefully Frank will post to this he might know.. :confused:

yes alot of the late model vehicle went to a single external amp and then more recently they went to each speaker having its own amp right at the speaker. if you know what the other guys have done i would stick with it. what they (car companys) are doing is changing all the equipment so a guy cant just change out his speakers, or his radio. they are making it so you have to replace all the components just to change one. this keeps more money in there pockets and less out of guys like me who sell aftermarket stuff.... you know same stuff diferent day right?

Frank (FlyinGN) or Jim (phillyturbosix):
Do either of you guys know what year,radio model no, or model of car that your units came out of?
Doesn't sound like I want the model that has the amp attached to the speaker, and without knowing what year they did that change, I can't go looking for a unit.

What I did is did a search on ebay for CD GM RADIO Like here is one on there now that would work.. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7927105639&category=38641 Just look for something in the 95-02 era. Mine was a guy who bought the car new and put a aftermarket radio in right after he got the car. I think it was a 02 malibu. Some of them don't mention the year. As long as the theft lock is not on or activacted you'll be fine. Good Luck! :)

Back