You can type here any text you want

GN fuel lines in Gbody El Camino

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

just plain john

El Camino a Go-Go!
Has anyone done this? The wheelbase is 5" longer. I have my motor in for mock up, but I'll pull tomorrow to finish up a few things including the fuel lines. I have a new supply and return line, plus I have the factory return/vapor from the doner GN. How long a section of high presser fuel line is safe to run if I have to lengthen them?

I'd get a good flaring tool and do a cut and flair myself. Then add another section of line. High pressure fuel line has a habit of blowing off if you just put it on a cut line.

I might not have to after all, but I can't be sure until the crossmember is out. I laid the front section of supply line under the car in about the approximate location and it looks like it may fit as is. Here's a tip-it's a PIta to do. There's a retainer clip just behind the proportioning valve on the frame rail. This clip secures both the fuel and rear brake line, and it's on TOP of the frame. You can't get a wrench on it without raising the body off the frame. Joy. Anyway, it will get done time permitting.

No fabrication needed

For those of you that might want to convert a normally aspirated G body to a LC2 set up, I'm happy to report that the stock Buick fuel system components ( lines, filter, brackets, retainers, everything) is a bolt in. I did remove all the old lines first, and it's a PITA to remove the original vapor line cause you have to lift the body at the driver front to access a retainer screw in the frame, but it all fits with no modification. The supply line goes in in place of the vapor like. Easy peasy.

sounds like a lot of work to me. I used a braided line as a feed with an fittings, and the original 3/8" feed line as a return. I used the old vent line for a....vent line:D but everybody does their own thing right! as long as it got done.

I considered that method, but I already had the vent/return lines from the donor car, and I had bought the supply line many months ago when I started this project. Probably the first purchase I made. At any rate, worked out great so far. I only hope nothing leaks when I pressure it up.

I'm completely new to this forum (first post) so here we go!
I have a 1983 Camino that I did the conversion on. The frame is actually 9" longer. The front and rear frame sections are same as GN. I ordered a Fuel line kit for GN from Inline Tube (Utica Mich.) and had them add 9" in the straight section along the side rails of the frame, there are 3 lines, Pressure, Return, and Vent, with the kit. It fit perfectly. No splices to deal with!

Ooops

It's funny you should mention that, I was going to post and admit I was wrong about the stock GN lines fitting. As noted above, the crossmember was in before. After I pulled the drivetrain and crossmember I fished the passenger side lines. Working from underneath the car, I fitted the rear section up and it looked like it would work. Leaving it in place, I then moved the lines around in the engine bay until the got positioned but unknowingly pulled them forward away from the rear attatchment points. I went to fasten it all down today starting at the rear only to find that they were indeed too short. So I cut them in between where the mounts attatch inside the frame rail. After putting the cut sections back in place I have a gap of around 6 inches between them. As I have no tubing experience, I'm leaning towards using high pressure hose to make up the difference.

summit sells an fittings that flare the tube for you. They have tube nuts and sleeves, then you install the male an adapter. When you tighten them down, they flare the pipe. Then you can use a straight -6 (3/8) straight fitting (need two) on a braded hose, and attach the two cut pieces. I used this method for my return line. I buy them locally down the street, but she matches the pieces for me. I think Russell has them, and aeromotive. HTH's.

RUS-66035 FLARE UNION, STRAIGHT X2
RUS-66196 FLARE CAP X2
RUS-61002 HOSE END STRAIGHT X2
RUS-632050 STAINLESS STEEL BRAIDED HOSE =3'
that is enough hose for 3 short lines, and the part numbers for the AN hardware for one line repair.

Back