GN steering wheels

Casey Jensen

Quick question, are all the steering wheels the same from 84-87 or is there a difference in the years? Looking at some pics of 87's and it looks like the leather going down towards the horn ring isn't as long as what is on my 84.

I have 2 extra steering wheels and the one gray one out of a Lesabre is identical to the ones in my GN's but I have a black one out of an 87 Regal and the spokes are a little more covered . I have a blue one and there is a little rust and it's not leather at all ( fake stitching ), it's like rubber and you can twist it like a throttle on a motorcycle spoke length is identical. Basically, I don't think there is rhyme or reason, maybe a difference in years.

Saw this thread and don't intend to hijack--but does anyone know of a shop that can restore/recover our leather steering wheels?

I don't really need one, just have been looking at different pictures of different GN's and it looks like there is a little difference to me. Just curious.

There is supposedly a lady on Ebay that provides the service, check with Kirban also, those are the first two that come to mind.

Saw this thread and don't intend to hijack--but does anyone know of a shop that can restore/recover our leather steering wheels?

There is a thread on here somewhere that shows you how to do it yourself if you want to or able.

I can't remember where I saw it but it's here somewhere.

I will check that out also--so there must be a source for the leather, probably already sewn in the right diameter so that all that it needs is some sewing skills. I can turn a wrench, but I suck with a needle and thread...

There is supposedly a lady on Ebay that provides the service, check with Kirban also, those are the first two that come to mind.

Yep: you are correct, there is a service that will exchange for $195 on Fleabay. You have to send them a good, re-storable unit so they can fix it up for the next person. Anybody have one of these? Was wondering if the quality and appearance was satisfactory.

There is also a link on here where someone used super glue and a little spray paint and it came out super nice. I was very surprised with the outcome.

I did the super glue restoration on my steering wheel. Works great! I did it a while back and it still looks the same today. I used locktite 414 and filled in the nicks and cracks. Then I sanded it smooth with a fine grit sandpaper. A local Napa store could color match the paint and they sold a kit that has a propellant can and you put the paint in a jar that attaches to the bottom of the propellant can. Total cost was under $30 and a friend of mine that has a 84 and 87 GN thought I had bought a new wheel.

ImageUploadedByTurboBuick Mobile1389940381.328693.jpg
ImageUploadedByTurboBuick Mobile1389940406.795601.jpg

Last edited:
Here's the quality of work of the one you can get on eBay after trading in your old wheel.....the workmanship is excellent. Was worth it to me.

Bruce '87 Grand National

DSC_0433.JPG