GN/T-Turbo - Practical as a daily Driver?

87WE4NJ

Thinking of using my '86 as a DD. Any advice? Maintenance headaches? I think we have all the bugs out of it....

My 85 was a DD, for a little over half its life...so about 11 years. It was always good to me, made many long road trips. Maintenance was like any other car, except maybe changing the oil a little more frequently.
Only thing stopping me from making it a DD now is my fear of it getting stolen....seems they're alot more popular with car thieves these days.

Thanks for the feedback

I've heard of the theft problems. Does an alarm/ignition/fuel shut-off help? My '86 doen't look pretty. The '87 would definitely be at risk if not locked up...

That's the same way I feel. I used mine as a daily driver from about 93 - 2000. Now, I'm scared of it getting stolen, and as modded up as it is now, whatever fool steals it will likely get himself killed in it. I trust it well enough to DD it, I think it's pretty reliable at this point....damned near everything mechanical on it has been replaced, LOL!

I bought my GN back in 94 with 36,000 miles and I used it mostly on the weekends. I would occasionally drive it to school- college and that was in the Bronx. I would also park it at the beach in Long Island. I even parked in at the mall and around town. Those days were fun!

Today my GN has 48,000 miles and the only place that i park it is in my garage! I only use it to cruise and get gas.

Expect your car to get stolen if u use it as a dd.
Nothing can stop a TOW TRUCK. There was a pic on here about 6 months ago of a guys black GN with T-tops that looked like a GNX and his was stolen from work. Days later, he posted pics of what it looked like when it was found. The only things left were the frame, shell and sterring wheel.

Those pics were scary and I express my sympathies to its owner.

The only way I would use a GN/TR as a dd is with GPS and make sure u have all the cut-off switches, wheel locks, etc. And try to park it in different places each day so that u dont set a certain pattern that a potential thief can observe.
Frank

I wouldn't drive mine daily. The air doesn't work and I would be really worried about door dings and other road hazards. I'd like it to be seen more, but that can come at a price. ;)

I think if you are comfortable with it being a DD, there is nothing to fear since you sound like you can take care of day to day problems that might arise.

Sure reliability wise they would make great dds. Afterall Buick did make them for that purpose. My bro drove his 85 hot air T-type to high school, work, track, and everywhere in between as a dd from 97-01. The only thing I would worry about these days is theft.:(

I drive mine everyday. Only problem i had was fryng the starter wires :mad: and someone stole my sterio :( I have an alarm now and have had no trouble

Hrmm, funny question.......... about the getting stolen part........ I guess thats the chance you take????:confused: Protect it the best you can and hope for the best. There is nothing you can do about it if someone wants it. All the kill switches and collar locks in the world cant stop someone from stealing your car. (ie - tow truck). If you drive a Turbo Regal daily, make sure its insured properly. Thats all you can do........

Now, about the daily driver part........... see my signature........... Im getting rid of a 1999 Buick Regal GS in favor of a 1987 Turbo Regal WE4 for a daily ride that a very good buddy of mine found and sold to me, 1QUICK6'N'K.C. I tried the "practical" route for about 3 years. I hate driving the 99 GS. Its expensive to fix. It rides like crap. Oh, did I mention its expensive to fix?

The WE4 puts a smile on my face every morning. Its got a fresh transmission, mostly stock setup, and heat/AC, etc. Everything I need. Oh, the broke down list to date is:

1. Washer Pump - 7 bux
2. Blower Motor Resistor - 17 bux
3. Volt Booster took at crap - FREE - CUT IT OFF/REMOVED IT

These cars are easily fixed in no time at all if something fails, and the huge benefit I have is that in a emergency, parts can be borrowed from the GN if needed! Some of you may not have the luxury, but I do. Thats why a Turbo Buick for a daily driver is a good choice for me. HTH

Wouldn't drive mine daily because of the theft risk, accident risk, and I save alot of money with limited milage insurance.

Wouldn't drive mine daily because of the theft risk, accident risk, and I save alot of money with limited milage insurance.

Not to mention that u are in NJ- close enough to the tristate area.

I am in NY and my GN is parked in the garage.

Maybe it's safer out west some where?

Thanks for all the helpful comments

I wasn't intedning to drive the show quality '87 as a DD; the '86 T-Type GN Clone needs paint/body work but is mechanically solid. It sounds like insurance, the Club and few cutoff switches and I can take my chances. Glad to hear the reliability comments. Cash is low and can't get anything for the '86 so teh SS Trailblazer has to go :(

I use my 86 GN as a DD. Never a hint of a problem. And it's going on 275K miles. I'm not scared of it getting stolen either. It's parked on the lot with a lot of eyes watching it. While I think you should be vigiliant in keeping it secure, I also think your paranoid if you keep that from letting you enjoy your car. I've said in a few threads. Some of you guys are stuck on yourselves. You think a 20YO Regal is the shidz? I can think of a 100 other different cars I'd steal before a TR. I'd be really scared if it was a 10YO Honda Civic if you get my drift.:rolleyes:

A woman in the next town over has a GN that she drives all year. I don't know how she gets anywhere in the snow. The car is faded and rusty, even has a tow ball on it. She is also fully aware of what the car could be. She drives it all the time because she loves driving it she told me.

I've used mine as a daily driver without any problems. Of course I also work on a military installation.

I use my 86 GN as a DD. Never a hint of a problem. And it's going on 275K miles. I'm not scared of it getting stolen either. It's parked on the lot with a lot of eyes watching it. While I think you should be vigiliant in keeping it secure, I also think your paranoid if you keep that from letting you enjoy your car. I've said in a few threads. Some of you guys are stuck on yourselves. You think a 20YO Regal is the shidz? I can think of a 100 other different cars I'd steal before a TR. I'd be really scared if it was a 10YO Honda Civic if you get my drift.:rolleyes:

I don't feel that I'm stuck on myself, just feel a buick gn (regal) is a very easy car to steal & is very desireable for parts-when's the last time you went to a junk yard & see a graveyard of regals with parts available?

You live in Deland/Deltona? (well that's not a hot spot of car thieves)

Our Buick Regals are great prey for chop shops or for someone to change vin"s ,color, & throw a set of 22's to drive around in it & call it their own!

Otherwise they make a great DD,easy to maintain,diagnose, repair, & fix-not to mention comfortable-but wouldn't park it front of a mall or a place to eat for more than a few minutes (only because I like my car & don't want to lose another one)

FRED

The other problem i have had is that i tear it down on the weekend to install performance or other parts and i don't finish so i have no car all week :mad: