GN vs Accord @ races

OnlyNeed6

Was at the street races last night. Saw a guy there with a GN...looked stock and well kept. Guy next to him came over to him while we were talking. The guy next to him reasoned that his new Accord was a 240 hp V6 and it would eat the GN due to the fact that FWD would make better launch than RWD and he had a 5 speed:rolleyes:

GN and the Accord and 15 or so other cars went to the local spot. Needless to say the GN ate the rice 3 for 3 by about 4-6 cars each time. Dumb rice got owned and couldnt say he was down on cylinders
:D

Actually, it doesnt suck to own a Honda. Mine has 214k miles and is going strong. Now racing a honda, that could suck.

doesnt suck to own a honDUH just sucks when one races a GN. honDUHs are great cars for everyday use just not for racing.

My 87 IROC with 204,000 orig miles would own the honda and it's a 305 :) My buddies 84 Z-28 daily driver has 280,000 orig miles...so much for the reliablity of imports propoganda.

Hondas are getting pretty fast. I work for honda , but i own a gn theres a couple a guys there with 12 sec. hondas 1 is 95 civic integra motor and Jackson raicing blower the other is 87 integra turbo charge.

Honestly, how many times has that 280,000 mile Camaro been in the shop for something pretty serious, or had lots of serious work done in order to keep it running that many miles?

Then compare that rate to a Honda Accord or Civic with the same amount of miles. Hardly anything ever goes wrong or wears out with them. Except oil, tires, and CV shafts. Engine wise, if they're taken care of right, they last forever. Its friggin insane.

Originally posted by OnlyNeed6
Needless to say the GN ate the rice 3 for 3 by about 4-6 cars each time.

Sounds like something was wrong with that GN and it needs some tuning. Or perhaps the driver sucked.

Honestly, how many times has that 280,000 mile Camaro been in the shop for something pretty serious, or had lots of serious work done in order to keep it running that many miles?
]

Harumph! Can't sell me on import longevity! Only reason them honda's never break is cus they don't make any power!

1994 GMC Sonoma 4.3 190,000+ miles never in for warranty repair, never even had an oil leak or trans fluid leak! 100% unopened original still going strong. Only problems have been 2 alternators, 1 radiator, 1 water pump, 1 fuel pump.;)

lets see my 91 maxima has about 157,000 and in the last year i've done alternator,starter,plugs,wires,ball joints,cv joints, full exhaust. the speedometer crapped out recently and before that went the cruise control also failed, not to mention when you open the doors theres some serious rot happening in there. my moms 00 crv has also been in for numerous driveline problems.

My Mom's '91 Mazda 626 2.2L has 305,000kms on it... 190,000 miles. And is burning oil and a little coolant, and still is going strong. It has only needed a transmission rebuild.

Yeah, but the CRV's are new, and they used a lot of new experimental stuff in it that still isnt "perfected" yet, so they tend to have a lot of recalls and warranty work.

My other car is '87 Nova w/ toyota motor in it, only 123,000 miles and motor still runs pretty strong. Just having other issues with it now. (I beat on the poor thing back in high school, so now I'm paying the price)

Re: Re: GN vs Accord @ races

Originally posted by lyonsd
Sounds like something was wrong with that GN and it needs some tuning. Or perhaps the driver sucked.

lol...my thoughts exactly!!

The car was completely stock as far as I could tell. The driver just roasted the tires and then pulled past the Accord and shut down shortly after.

a factory stock GN will eat an accord anytime...

add minimal mods and you will win by bus lengths :)

Can't sell me on HONDA durablity. 3 of my buddies own accords different years and all of them had disasters on the road where they had to get towed to the local shop. My IROC had some problems with water pump and a coil...but didn't come close to breaking down on the damn street. My buddy's Honda had a bad alternator and a "honda dummy" light that didn't warn him in time that their was problems....and WHAMMO no power, dead in the fast lane...Not even enough juice for warning lights NO WARNING LIGHTS. THERE'S A SERIOUS PROBLEM WITH THIS PICTURE. At least GM installs voltage gauges that will at least WARN it's driver before terminal failure. The other guy threw a "PLASTIC" timing belt on the freeway.

As for the 280,000 mile Z28...the guy never lifted a valve cover...only the normal accessories went out (water pump, battery, alternator.....) There's one thing that really get's under my skin is all those Automotive Mags that claim the HONDA is soo great compared to domestic... CAMARO/FIREBIRD being claimed to be sooo unreliable. Anyone with an iota of common sense can tell you this isn't a reasonable comparison since the CAMARO/FIREBIRD tends to fall into the hands of performance enthusiasts that drive fast and hard...as compared to a POINT A/POINT B car that a HONDA theme. Anyone that disagrees with this....well great...go buy your HONDAS and pay the HONDA mechanic markup.... this will leave more F-Bodies for the enthusiasts to choose from.

Just my opinion.:p

I don't know how some of you drive honduhs daily. I start feeling some major back/butt pain while driving my wifes '93 2dr accord SE w/ leather seats. It feels like they threw a dead cow over a concrete block! My wife would rather ride in the Camaro even with a roll bar restricting access to the seat! Anybody want a honduh? She's wanting to get rid of it because it's so uncomfortable.

My lowly 84 Caprice with a 305 was so durable that I drove it for .002 cents per mile. Not counting gas, tires, etc. I bought it with 87,000 miles on it drove it 140,000 miles and sold it for $2,400.00 running perfectly. Just used about a quart every 3500 miles. The most serious failure was timing set-GM used the damn plastic coated gears. It didnt break, just started ticking. The trans never went, I used a $35.00 cooler as should everyone.
Im also very tired of the honda being so exalted. Here in the south, ghetto types get American cars and dont do sh^&% for maintenance. That gives the good owners a bad rap.
I now enjoy my lowly 94 LT-1 Caprice with a few freeby mods-it wont use drop of oil at 199,000 miles and itll romp many a more $$$ car. It already has cop stuff like oil and trans coolers, HD this and that. Ill fault gm for their quest for "smoothness". Things like mushy steering boxes and plastic timing gears, and smooth shifting trans's. With just alittle heads up, these are not problems. Hell, I spent 30 seconds adjusting the TV cable on the 84 trans and it went from slush to snap. Simple! little stuff!