GN Vs. T

85HOT-T

Why is it that blue book value of a grand national is more than a T. Doesnt the fact that there was only 1/4 of the amount of t's made have an affect on this.

Just curious, if anyone has some interesting info, just let me know, Thanks

I believe its because the GN is more desireable to most and the collector market is catching up with these cars. It just makes the T's a better bargain!

How much more would you pay for a "T" with a special interior etc etc? Just the added parts alone might make a diff in price.

FWIW & IMHO:
Scarcity by itself will not drive not drive the market, in anything.
The GN's were feared and respected, the T's considered Grandpa cars
You would be amazed at the number of people still today that really do not know what a Turbo-T or a T-Type is. They've heard of them, but never really paid enough attention when they have seen a Turbo-t ot T-Type to realize what they were looking at. Turbo-T's & T-Types are not going up in value anywhere near as much as the GN"s. A good example or scarcity alone not driving the collectable Turbo Buick market is: Hot air , Limited series, & WE4 Turbo Buicks. None will ever hold a candle to the venerable GN.
No flaming intended either way.

Yeah, I guess low production numbers would have an impact in it. The fact you will see 3:1 or more gns vs. t's would say that the T is more desirable for collectors of rare cars. To me rare cars bring in more money. Blue book for a gn is twice of what a T is, I would really thing it to be the other way around.

By the way what is the difference between the two :rolleyes: (just kidden)

I don't know anything about blue book values, but I suspect that sticker prices on the cars would at least have a little to do with the blue book values. The sticker prices on grand nationals was probably higher then the stricker price of t-types, because a grand national is considered to be a step up from it and are usually more optioned out I believe.

Look at the TTA's. They originally cost more than GN's, are far more rare, and still don't bring any more money ( comparing vehicles with similar wear and mileage).

Actually, they cost a lot more than GNS, as I believe that their average sticker was about $ 31K or so, which was about $ 2k more than GNX sticker. How's that for irony?

gn vs t

well the problem is people are like rats & some adults have a childs mentality. They think that all black means its special edition, fbi, etc. I have heard it all. I had a mint 87 gn & it was a love hate relationship. I loved the car & the reactions were great but everyone expected it to be fast. Almost daily someone at an autoparts store had a special fbi car, or a brothers sister husbands best friends uncle had one that was special edition twin turbo with ceramic. Blah blah. Just a little pos v6 with a air compressor on it. I like the cars because they are not of the norm & can do so much for so little. I now have owned 3. One gn & two t's. I love the t in alot of ways because of the underdog role & the fact that people think its a joke until you pull a greyhound or two on them :biggrin: I think the value should be of what the % of the people want. The black car has the reputation so the values will stay the way they have been.

pontiac69fb said:
I don't know anything about blue book values, but I suspect that sticker prices on the cars would at least have a little to do with the blue book values. The sticker prices on grand nationals was probably higher then the stricker price of t-types, because a grand national is considered to be a step up from it and are usually more optioned out I believe.

Well, from what I've seen, some T's had a higher sticker price than some GN's. It depends on the options that you got with the car when new. I have the original window sticker for my Limited T & it's for $18,896 :eek:
Base price was $12,303
options $6,163
destination charge $430
Total $18,896

Blaze said:
snip - It depends on the options that you got - snip

Exactly. "Generally" speaking, while the T's have the same driveline, they are not optioned as heavily. In fact, The "GN option" isnt on the T's.

most people want a GN NOT a "T" ... I hate GN's becuase I have had a lot of them since 1986 ... I am tired of black cars :rolleyes: I like the Ts and Limiteds because they are different colors and more of a sleeper :p but bottom line GNs are worth more unless ya find someone like me that "has to have a certain T"

Grumpy said:
most people want a GN NOT a "T" ... I hate GN's becuase I have had a lot of them since 1986 ... I am tired of black cars :rolleyes: I like the Ts and Limiteds because they are different colors and more of a sleeper :p but bottom line GNs are worth more unless ya find someone like me that "has to have a certain T"

I finally Agree with Grump :cool:

I shed my GN for a T. my Operating costs of the T are way better because they can be had cheaper these days. This allows you to put more goodies into them.
Plus I did not want to ruin my low mile GN adding speedo parts.

I think when the GN's go outta sight like the other super cars, then you will see the T's rise in price always being behind GN's by 40%

Little6pack said:
I finally Agree with Grump :cool:

I shed my GN for a T. my Operating costs of the T are way better because they can be had cheaper these days. This allows you to put more goodies into them.
Plus I did not want to ruin my low mile GN adding speedo parts.

I think when the GN's go outta sight like the other super cars, then you will see the T's rise in price always being behind GN's by 40%
-------------------------------------
40% behind? On a high mileage car maybe, but that sounds a tad high to me for a pristine virtually no mileage car. 30% maybe in that catagory. But that's just me.

85HOT-T said:
Why is it that blue book value of a grand national is more than a T. Doesnt the fact that there was only 1/4 of the amount of t's made have an affect on this.

Just curious, if anyone has some interesting info, just let me know, Thanks
Economics 101 - supply and DEMAND

Don't get me wrong, I love 'em all, but:

I have both, and I'd sell the GN 100 times before I'd sell the T once. I can replace the GN in a heartbeat, anytime, because after all, Buick made 20,193 of them. But try to replace a white T, with chrome trim, a blue interior, and the unusual set of options the original owner ticked off - never, ever happen. As proof, I spent YEARS looking for it.

That reminds me of a little story. Back in the day, a guy with a GN tried to trade the original owner of my T, GN for T. "The GN is worth a lot more, bla, bla, bla." Well, the original owner not being stupid, there's a trade that never happened.

strike

Demand, plain & simple

BTW, how many of the 20K+ cars exist today, maybe half? Common only to us as a group brought together.

OK maybe 40% was a bit harsh. Maybe 39% :biggrin:

You maybe right could be anywhere from 25% to 40 % dependant on the condition.