GN Wiring

Robert

Hello all, looking for some help here. I currently have 2 '87 GN powered project cars in work. A Fiberglass kit car, Laser 917, & a '53 Studebaker Stralight Coupe. What I am looking for is the proper wiring hook up to mate with the stock GN engine wiring harness & ECM. On the Turbo Regal web site, under wiring harness connector diagrams,there is a diagram of connector C-100. connectors A thru H / 4 thru 7. I need to know which of the active 15 connectors need to be used & where they should attach to. I am only looking for engine management systems. All other stuff will be wired seperately. Thanks for any input you guys can give me TAZ :confused:

Dan, thanks for your reply. It helps some, but raises some other questions. The thing is that I am basicly starting with a blank canvas. Neither one of these project cars have ANY wiring in them at all! Got to do the whole enchalada. TAZ

Carpers has you covered!

Check this link:

http://www.casperselectronics.com/cgi-local/store/commerce.cgi?product=EHARN

For transplants, they have both the engine harness and even a basic under-dash setup.

If it is in your budget, this seems like the best way to go. They even have a few options and a specs page!

Maybe this will help? Good Luck!

You know, I never understood why GM didn't include these engines in their crate motors program. Nice, small package fits into a lot of applications....

You will need the following to operate the GN ECM/Engine Harness:

1. Battery power, Hot at All times to the Orange ECM Wire that runs upto the battery in the GN harness

2. Power Connections at the C100 connector are for the CCCI Ignition Module, Fuel Injectors, Fuel Pump and TCC lock-up These all require a Hot in On, Start and Run

3. The I/P harness connector which is on the end of the harness where the ECM plugs in has the inputs to the ECM for the VSS and ALDL connector (You don't however need the VSS signal to run the car, though it is required if you want the GN ECM to control Torque Converter Lock-up and/or Cruise Control)

If you have a good harness already, don't go wasting money on another harness.

If you need more specific help in terms of exact pins, I'll pull out my schematics and go through everything with you. Feel free to message me on AIM: steelwindmachine or Yahoo: copper_trace

Its not hard at all to adapt the GN harness to another car. You just have to provide it adaquate power in the proper Ignition modes and that's basically it.

So far, I've done a GN harness in a 87 Monte SS, 89 TTA harness in a 87 TA with a GN motor, and I've also totally customized, stripped down and rebuilt the entire engine harness and most of the interior wiring in my car....no problems.

Originally posted by darkfa8
You will need the following to operate the GN ECM/Engine Harness:

1. Battery power, Hot at All times to the Orange ECM Wire that runs upto the battery in the GN harness

2. Power Connections at the C100 connector are for the CCCI Ignition Module, Fuel Injectors, Fuel Pump and TCC lock-up These all require a Hot in On, Start and Run

3. The I/P harness connector which is on the end of the harness where the ECM plugs in has the inputs to the ECM for the VSS and ALDL connector (You don't however need the VSS signal to run the car, though it is required if you want the GN ECM to control Torque Converter Lock-up and/or Cruise Control)

If you have a good harness already, don't go wasting money on another harness.

If you need more specific help in terms of exact pins, I'll pull out my schematics and go through everything with you. Feel free to message me on AIM: steelwindmachine or Yahoo: copper_trace

Its not hard at all to adapt the GN harness to another car. You just have to provide it adaquate power in the proper Ignition modes and that's basically it.

So far, I've done a GN harness in a 87 Monte SS, 89 TTA harness in a 87 TA with a GN motor, and I've also totally customized, stripped down and rebuilt the entire engine harness and most of the interior wiring in my car....no problems.

I too am in the same situation, however a little farther along, perhaps.

I found the same "Partial" Schematic as Robert and am in need of some assistance.

I have transplanted an 84GN engine and wiring into a 90 PROVA kit car(Lamborgini Coontach).

I went to start it tonight and am not getting spark(and maybe no injector pulsing).

I have Switched/ Crank/ Run Power to pins 4D, 6C, 4H, 4E on the C-100 Connector. What else am I missing? Does 7H need power also? I thought that was a power "Out" connection.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

read this....

this is a quick write up of what I did to adapt the GN harness into the Monte. It should be applicable to any NA car despite the sorta-plug-n-play with the Monte.

http://www.g-body.org/temp/tb_mc_harness.htm

e-mail me if you need assistence beyond this.

and why a hot-air motor? lol

Re: read this....

and why a hot-air motor? lol [/B]

It's what we had available for the Guy and it's no longer a "Hot Air" ;)

I tried talking him into a 86-87 Turbo but he wouldn't spend the extra $$$$.

So exactly what pins HAVE to be used on the C-100 Connector?

We have the Fuel pump wired via an individual power supply relay and triggered by ignition.

What would cause there to be no spark?

We did not remove the "Inside" plug from the firewall, only the engine harness side.

Thanks.

you will need all of the "pins" that are fed 12vdc power. Read my charts carefully.

You will need to also make connections at the C434 connector. You can get another plug out of an G-Body (Monte Carlo, Grand Prix, Cutlass, Regal) of the same time period (1981-1987)

The C434 connector is near the ECM connectors, it is has a clear case.

No spark could be no power to the CCCI module, a bad crank sensor, no power to the ECM.

I eliminated a lot of wiring and circuitry for my Buick's wiring harness, about a pound or so worth in weight :)

I'll do my best to assist.

What does the C434 plug look like? Where on the harness is it?

The Crank sensor is new.

I really appereciate the help!!

Caspers Electronics.com !!!
They also have a turbo buick powered kit car, a Cobra I believe.
Anyways, call and ask for John he knows the wiring like crazy.
I had to replace the engine harness in one of my GN's and had some questions and he was an awesome asset.

Dan is telling you real world experience and trying to save you guys a lot of $$ and head aches. You can decide on whether you want to spend $200 on a used harness or $600-$700 for a new one. The used harness will work as well and allow you to put the money saved towards something else.
The car his article was written about is mine and was easily converted. All the accessories function as GM intended and the job looks factory.

the C434 plug is usually clear or black plastic case wrapped with foam and located behind and to the right of the glove box.

Originally posted by darkfa8
the C434 plug is usually clear or black plastic case wrapped with foam and located behind and to the right of the glove box.

Is that the clear plug attached to the ECM Harness? We have that but not the rest of it. We thought that was the output to the Diagnostic terminal.

Should we pull the rest of that part of the harness out and cennect it to the ECM harness?

just get the matting half for the C434 and cut out some lengths of wire with it.

Then follow my chart I linked to above for whatever pins you're going to need.

and yes, the plug is part of the ECM harness and comes through the same firewall grommet the ECM connectors come through.