GNX 530 Dash Plaque, real or reproduction?

Steve

A buddy of mine recently bought a GN that has been cloned into a GNX look outward appearance wise. We don't really know the history of this GN as it seems to have changed hands a few times and the owner that my buddy bought the car from didn't know much about. The car has had flares,louvers, and emblems added along with an aftermarket GNX style dash cluster. The car has a GNX 530 dash plaque and I am curious if the plaque is the real deal or a reproduction. The only way it would be real is if GNX 530 met with an untimely death so I thought someone here would know the whereabouts of GNX 530.

The dash plaque is definitely a reproduction, even if it is embossed (the pic is unclear as to whether letters and numbers are raised). Either way, the proportions and letter formation are incorrect. Your buddy should be happy; $21,000 was a good result for this car.

He was pretty happy with price he got for the car. Of course Mecum gets a chuck of that also but we were thinking high teens. The car had some pretty decent mods on it and it was a decent GNX clone. It had some wiring issues when he bought it and ran very rough but after some investigation the main thing that was wrong with it was that the cam sensor was 180 degrees out.

Quick check of the gnx registry reveals 530 is in AZ and has had 2 owners.

As I understand it, GM made duplicates of the dash plaques and many years ago Dennis Kirban obtained and was selling them. Then I heard that Dennis made duplicates....in the 500 range. All this is what I heard...you can check with X-Ray and Dennis to be sure. I did purchase one of the GM dups many years ago to use in a display (never got around to doing it) and one person saw my number on a clone in the early 90's but I haven't gone to the trouble of comparing the dup I have to the one on my car to see if there are any differences. Chances are that the one on the clone is not the one that came on the car.