You can type here any text you want

GNX newbie

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

GNXphan

Hi Guys!

VERY new to the GNX scene. I am well aware of how great/rare the car is its just Ive been a Pontiac guy for most of my life. Anyhow looking for some help as I do my research. I am in the market for a GNX but I realize unlike Pontiac where we are spoiled with PHS (gets us how the car was built on day 1) I am unaware how we can 100% verify these cars as true GNXs. Is their a PHS or Galien Govier equivalent?

Also what constitutes "all the paperwork"? How much does not having everything affect value? What should a seller have? If he doesnt have everything what can i do as a perspective buyer to make sure this is indeed a real GNX. I have 2 candidates i'm currently investigating, one of which doesn't have all the paperwork but owner states is 100% numbers car.

Thanks in advance! (Very happy I found this fourm!)

JJ

Post what ur looken at and im sure the fakes can be weaded out.

not to sound too suspicious or anything, but i've seen people pop into other car forums and ask pointed questions about things like documentation and what to look for on the "real" cars before.. most times, they are just honest people looking to verify a car they are thinking of buying or what kinds of cars to look for- but there have been a few that were asking the questions so they could build a better fake and pass it off as the real thing.
i've seen it happen with LS6 and COPO Chevelles and Z/28, ZL1, or COPO Camaros. i'm sure it's happened with the hemi Mopars and Shelby Mustangs, too...
since GNX owners tend to not want to spend $80k to buy a $20k GN with a few of the special GNX pieces grafted on, i'd say the only good way to handle something like this would be to provide some details (like a VIN) about the car in question to someone that can authenticate it, and go from there.
don't answer these types of posts with a "look for this, this, this, and this, but not this that or that" type of responses that will help some scumbag take advantage of some trusting sould with more money than knowledge.
i'm sure this kind of stuff is common knowledge, but sometimes i think people need to be reminded of this, especially in tough economic times like this when the snake oil salesmen come crawling out of the woodwork.

No grassy knoll, black helicopter cloning aspirations here. Sorry to disappoint. Just wanted some basic help. I am new to Buicks but have always loved the GNX. I know Pontiacs inside and out and now have a (relatively short) opportunity at what I think is a legitimate GNX. I simply don't want to make a costly mistake. On the GNX I am really most interested in, the price is on the low side for a relatively low mile GNX in this condition (hence my apprehension). If it is real I don't want to blow my chances so for now, I'd prefer keeping a lid on the VIN/number for that particular car.

Answering my (honest) questions or not shouldn't be predicated on a VIN submission. If it is I guess Im out of luck and in the wrong forum.

Still not really sure what ur question is? What is it that u wanna know and maybe someone can help?

Primarily what to look for in a legit real GNX. I sent he last 4 digits to the registry so I hope they answer that for me. As for the rest, I have begun gathering some info online. I should be ok. Just was hoping for some insider stuff to look for (incl potential problem areas) since I plan on inspecitng the car within a week. Over the years I've helped a lot of new folks asking for help with GTOs/Firebirds/Judges/TAs at the Pontiac Performance Years boards. Was just looking for the same sort of thing here...

Anyhow once I know for sure if its legit (or not) from GNXregistry I can do more of the GNX-specific research on the web.

Make sure the turbo is the original. They are worth several thousand. A replacement is worth several hundred. Make sure the wheels are original as well. Again, originals are worth thousands. GTA's are a dime a dozen.

Take photos of the car and post em. You don't have to let people know where the car is located.

Thanks Brett, much appreciated. :-) I will post some shots after I get up close and personal hopefully very soon.

look for the ASC emmisions sticker under the hood
gauges should be SW
GNX label on the intercoolerder
metal fender louvers
Poly (not fiberglass) flares
welded in rear seat braces
Al brake drums

thanks.

specifically how do i tell if turbo is -thee- factory original.

ditto for wheels? i know the inserts are GNX but anything else?

visible p/n for both/either?

kirban 2 cents worth

As to your above question: You need to show a photo of the turbo minus the turbo cover to be 100% sure its a factory GNX turbo. Hard to describe the difference to someone not familar with turbos.

On a visual on the wheels:

Since the GNX has fender flares see how the wheels and tires sit in relationship to the flares they should sit outward more like the car needs to have flares to clear them...obvious to the naked eye that the offset is different front to rear on the wheels and you do not observe any wheel spacers behind the wheels.

Others can chime in as to the wheels dimple or no dimple as I get mixed up.

The turbo is a major concern. the wrong one can set you back 5 grand or better.
The undercoating is a major problem to remove at the very least time consuming.

You mention PHS.....even they have problems with fraud as I know Jim personally....people copy his paperwork and alter VIN numbers he now suggests that any Pontiac/GTO a buyer is looking at they run the VIN number first and get the paper work themselves prior to spending the big bucks on a tri-power 4 speed GTO.

Fraud exists everywhere probably more so in a bad economy....

Original jacket and numbered GNX book are 2 other things you need to inquire about....both can prove to be a fortune to get after the fact....

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com
PS: I have bought and sold 8 real GNXs over the years......

Hi JJ,

Just sent you some information on the GNX in question and a prospective buyer's package as well. This includes the GNXRegistry.ORG 10-second Turbo Check, a method of positively identifying an original GNX turbo without removing a single bolt-- you don't even need an inspection mirror. This is not published, but is available to any prospective buyer by emailing gnxregistry@gmail.com.

Good luck and we'll help you however we can both here in the forums and at GNXRegistry.ORG.

Dennis-- NO DIMPLES on those wheels! :)

Thanks everyone! :-)

I will be checking the car out in person (if he goes for my offer) within a week (2 max).

If it checks out as advertised (again armed with some of your great suggestions) I will be a new GNX owner. Either way I will let you know how things turn out.

Thanks again!

Back