Goint to set fire to 87 GN soon!!!

v8eater

I'm $oooo broke..
Okay..heres what I got.
I replaced the fuel pump with a racetronics 340(with hot wire), all new fuel lines from tank forward, new relay and fuses, replaced the cam sensor, replaced crank sensor, installed NEW 50 lb injectors with 50lb chip from Turbotweak, 10 gallons of 110 octane.
I have 40 pounds of pressure according to pressure gauge while trying to crank. It will turn over, it has fuel, it has spark. It will run for two seconds IF and only IF I give it a shot of starting fuel(ether). If I could only get it to backfire and catch on fire I would probally let it burn, just that discussed.
What else do I check.
I have no scan tools except a scanmaster. Don't think it matters cause the car needs to run before these would works anyway.

Thanks James L.

Is the fuel pump running at all? If you turn the key on ignition does the pump come on for 4 seconds?

Scott

Check ur plugs and verify fuel is being injected into the cylinders.If not it sounds like your injectors arent firing-Then check the harness plug for the injectors. A test light makes it easy to verify the injection pulses.

I feel your pain brother. More then you know. I have NO money at all!!!! Not even making my bills........lossed my engineering job about 4 months ago, own about $11,000 to the credit card, like $250 a month for min payment.......almost all to pay for mods and the car is running for $hit!!!!! Car has run right once since I started moding about two years ago. I just wish almost every day that it would set on fire & die.................and that I had got a BBC or a LS1 F-Body. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad::mad: :mad: :mad:

Jason

Jason this is what this board is for , Some of the best TR techs are here, Post a thread and im sure youll get help.

It is a hard problem to put to words. Really need some one to take a look at it. But like I said, no money. I'm real close to Bill Anderson and was just up there at G-Body parts this pass Friday, would have liked to maybe go to him, but I had a missunderstanding where I put my foot in my mouth and I think he would not help me even if I have money. Oh well, not trying to steal the spot light from v8eater.

Jason

I noticed you replace the cam sensor...are you absolutely sure you've got it timed? I mean, did you get it for sure timed to 25 deg ATDC? Use a tape to measure the balancer and all?

I would suggest all GN/TR owners invest in a good set of factory repair manuals. I'm not talking about the junk you can pickup at your local parts store either. Expect to pay ~$75 for the complete set of O.G. factory manuals. Trust me when I say it will pay for itself after the first time you use it.

Lucky for those who do not own a set yet, you can get help on this topic at the following Turbo Buick link.

http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/maintenance/nostart.html

This info was taken from the factory repair manual and is a taste of what you can exspect.

v8eater,

Take a look at this link and follow the troublshooting proceedure to solve your problem.

Good luck

Hey if any of you guys get to the point you want to set your car on fire...DON'T...Sell it to me, I don't have one, but I have a couple of years working on other people's and I want one so bad...Heck next time you feel that way, just give it to me "pretty please"

Originally posted by V8KILLR
I'm real close to Bill Anderson and was just up there at G-Body parts this pass Friday, would have liked to maybe go to him, but I had a missunderstanding where I put my foot in my mouth and I think he would not help me even if I have money.
Jason

I thought that was your car at Brians with the Mease sticker on the back window, I ASSumed you were there buying used parts. I really dont know of any missunderstanding????????? We are terribly busy but you can call to set up an appointment and I am confident we can straighten the car out.
Bill

Yes, the fuel pump does run but only after you try to start for a few seconds. It does not start to pump as soon as you switch the car on.
I did check the plugs before I changed injectors and there was no gas present. But the tank and lines were full of rust and crap so I "assume" that the injectors were full of trash also.
I did check the injector wiring harness a few months ago and did have power with a test light while turning over engine.
Guess I will have to check the cam sensor one more time but I was pretty sure I placed it correctly.
I got the GN cheap cause it wasn't running and is rusted pretty bad, but have intentions of placing drivetrain into a stripped and gutted N/A Reagal for drag only.

Thanks again, James L.

Set up the cam sensor with a tool like Casper or Kirban sells. Had the same problem after my rebuild a few years ago. :cool:

Bill,
Thanks for the offer, I'm sure I'll be up your way soon. I sent you an email.

Thanks again,
Jason

I'm curious about your timing. But I don't have any background on your car, and maybe you don't either. Has it run at all since you've owned it?

Could it be that your timing chain slipped timing, and that even tho you're getting spark, it's occuring at the wrong time? Just something else to consider.

If you arent getting that 4 sec fuel pump prime before you start it that is a problem. The fuelpump is not getting the signal from the ECM to turn the fuel pump on, and it will only turn on after the engine builds 5 psi of oil pressure. So check your relay first, then see if you are getting the signal back to the factory wire harness for the fuel pump, then maybe the ECM. Which the ECM was my problem. Start there, cause with no fuel no runny.

Scott