You can type here any text you want

Good compression test

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

TrAb

BOOSTIN
Hey guys what are good compression numbers for a turbo buick? I am going to be checking my compression when i get home tonight and wanted to know what to look for. I know i did a cold test a while back when the car was down and it didnt have very high numbers, cant remember exactly what they were. Also should i just let the car warm up, then hook up the guage and bump the engine over a couple times or is there anything else i should do? Thanks

Warm engine, pull plugs, disconnect power to ecm to stop fuel flow,open throttle body wide and lock, test away.

What bob said. I believe cranking comp on a stock engine was about 135 for me. As long as the numbers are consistant with each other.

Look for consistant pressures from all cylinders, actual cranking pressures will be affected by many variables, "Factory stock" engines typically pushed 140-150 psi, retarded cam timing/longer duration/wide center aftermarket camshafts can lower numbers drastically. #125 psi should be considered minimum for good street manners, any lower and problems of slow power production arise but allow more "Boost" psi at same ignition points/octane levels. Good luck.

Kevin.

Just test all of them execpt that damn one on the passanger back left. I cannot get to it and its to hot to play around in there for long. Anyways all the rest read the same numbers. Around 135+...

So im guessing my compression is good, but i still feel like the car should be faster. Maybe i have been spoiled by my other cars :redface: , but i think it feels like a high 14 low 15 second car right now. What else could i look into. I was thinking valve springs but i was told that those do not make a much difference until in the higher RPM's and its doing fine there.

More power can be had by upping boost-timing. You just need to make sure you have propper fueling. (pressure & octane) ;)

What boost-timing-fuel are you running now?

Boost is around 16lbs, timing i have no clue :confused:, fuel is 93 octane..

How would i adjust the timing???

Boost is around 16lbs, timing i have no clue :confused:, fuel is 93 octane..

How would i adjust the timing???

Thru the TT chip.... but watch out for knock... what are the wot scan tool numbers looking like? O2? KR? AF? TPS? You DO have a scan tool, right???

Thru the TT chip.... but watch out for knock... what are the wot scan tool numbers looking like? O2? KR? AF? TPS? You DO have a scan tool, right???

Yes i have a scan tool but im not to great with it. I think the 02's are around 750 or so at WOT, other then that i have only been watching for timing retard and when some popped up i just bumped the FP regulator a couple notches and it went away. Thats all i have done so far.

Back