Good turbo cam?

nitrous

Ok, I recently got a turbo setup and have a turbo cam in it.

Cam specs:

Duration @ .050": 218/212
Lift with 1.6 rockers: .528/.520
LSA: 113

I don't have the cam card with me so I can get more info if needed when I get home tonight.

I have had great results thus far with the setup (intercooler, T70, ported heads, cam, and lots of tranny work). On 9psi I ran 12.3@119 on 18" street tires and 11.9@120 with 14psi and misfires.

I was just wondering if you guys think this cam is too big for my setup at all? My vendor has given me great feedback as well.

TIA

The stock cam has been in the 10s in a number of cars and lots more in the very low 11s, so the terms "good turbo cam" are pretty relative. Good compared to what? How fast do you want to go?

You certainly don't need that large of a cam to go 10s. Hell, there have been cams much smaller that have gone 9s. I would definately worry less about the cam and more about the misfires.

nitrous said:
Ok, I recently got a turbo setup and have a turbo cam in it.

Cam specs:

Duration @ .050": 218/212
Lift with 1.6 rockers: .528/.520
LSA: 113

I don't have the cam card with me so I can get more info if needed when I get home tonight.

I have had great results thus far with the setup (intercooler, T70, ported heads, cam, and lots of tranny work). On 9psi I ran 12.3@119 on 18" street tires and 11.9@120 with 14psi and misfires.

I was just wondering if you guys think this cam is too big for my setup at all? My vendor has given me great feedback as well.

TIA
hopefully the missfires arent caused by cam lobes going bye-bye
aftermarket cams are known to get wiped out

aftermarket cams are known to get wiped out
That seems to happen with the 109 block, but his is in 3800 Series II, which is a lot different. I think that block was originally equipped with a roller, wasn't it?The cam is just a little stronger than the ATR RP309H, which was recommended for "modified engines", and that seems to be what this is. If it idles Ok, it's probably not too big, since the T70 will need a loose torque converter, the cam should be good.

Yea the motor is a hydraulic/roller one from the factory. I'm sure the cam is fine.

I do have a 3800 stall in the trans right now and the cam idle is decently lopey. Just was looking for feedback to see if you guys think the cam is sized alright for the setup. I know it's hard though since with a turbo setup, many things can change.

Depends on what you want to do guy?
The cam is plenty, very plenty for a 3800 with turbo.
Question why the intake bias?

I'd like to do consistant low low 10s or high 9s.

I just picked the cam from an aftermarket site. It was recommended.

nitrous said:
I'd like to do consistant low low 10s or high 9s.

I just picked the cam from an aftermarket site. It was recommended.

...With less boost, you should specify :biggrin: ...the stock cam can do consistent 10s or 9s for that matter.
Regardless, to know what is really happening you need to know more of what is happening as a whole...valve events. With that big of a turbo I would have honestly gone with a little more overlap (only an opinion), than is currently present at that adv.spec...then again it is not known if you want to keep it emission legal/idle like a kitten etc, etc.
Drew are you preppin' for the next race season (another setup)?