You can type here any text you want

got the call from the engine builder today

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

xsbc63x

i recently pulled the engine out of my 89 tta, and decided just to build it up mildly, well the machine shop called today and he said he wants to bore it 30 over and 10/10 on the crank, since he is a je dealer i told him to just get the pistons and the rings je recommends for this application, i weill be doing the 2-3 billet mains, and stock rods, magnafluxed and resized, all arp hardware, i was wondering what bearings i should go with in this engine, and if there is anything i should have the machine shop do or look out for, i will be running a roller cam btw as well.
any help is appreciated

Why .030? If this is the first go around on this block he should be able to clean it up with .010

X4... I think you're getting a hint... :biggrin:

K.

X6 or X7 why bore more than needed to clean up the cylinder?

Tell your builder to measure the main bores and be sure they are between 2.687-2.688 and perfectly round (minimum size preferred for maximum bearing crush). Have him install the oversize main bearings, torque and measure bearing inside diameter BEFORE sending the crank out for machining.

Have your machinist check the rods too and install the bearings, torque and measure.

That way he can tell the crank grinder exactly what diameter to aim for. That way you'll get the get the desired (tight) clearances you need to make the engine live.

well im going to have him check on the pistons, and he also said .010 would clean it up. how much extra is it usually for a custom piston?

i gave him the jack merkel specs off the merkel engines site as a basis, but i will be sure to let him know this. thanks for the info

X6 or X7 why bore more than needed to clean up the cylinder?

Tell your builder to measure the main bores and be sure they are between 2.687-2.688 and perfectly round (minimum size preferred for maximum bearing crush). Have him install the oversize main bearings, torque and measure bearing inside diameter BEFORE sending the crank out for machining.

Have your machinist check the rods too and install the bearings, torque and measure.

That way he can tell the crank grinder exactly what diameter to aim for. That way you'll get the get the desired (tight) clearances you need to make the engine live.

Back