You can type here any text you want

gotta question....

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

wolfmann442

Car Poor
I have been looking at alot of T/TA's lately,and i have noticed that 95% of them have cracked spoilers.What is the deal?Can you get a replacement spoiler?

Thanks,James

Yes replacement spoilers are all over the aftermarket scene! It was an extremely ****ty design from the factory with a piece of medal surrounded by foam. With the torque our cars make the whole thing twists, unibody WOOHOO, and that causes the spoiler to develop cracks and when water gets in there its over!

wolfmann442 said:
I have been looking at alot of T/TA's lately,and i have noticed that 95% of them have cracked spoilers.What is the deal?Can you get a replacement spoiler?

Thanks,James

:mad: POOR QUALITY PLASTIC.
I have a friend w/6k car.Garage kept & still has cracks.
Mine has been replaced.
Any seller that has body parts for the GTA will have them;

YEAR ONE, ETC...

I have only seen 1 TTA with the original spoiler within the last couple years that wasn't cracked. It had like 500 miles on it. They were made out of a rubber/plastic polymer that weighed a lot and it actually weighed enough to cause the material to stretch and sag.

You can get fiberglass replacements at www.hawksthirdgenparts.com do a little research on here and there's another thread where the installation is discussed.

I believe phillyturbosix has a stock one and it hasnt cracked. His car has like 30k miles.

Jason

wolfmann442 said:

Thanks,James[/QUO

[YEARONE.COM] HAS THEM

JRNYMNDAVID said:
wolfmann442 said:

Thanks,James[/QUO

[YEARONE.COM] HAS THEM

Yeah I guess you could go that route if you want to pay $525 plus oversized shipping!!!!! :eek: I think I have like a little more than that into mine including the shippind, having it mounted, and painted.

I guess i'm pretty lucky I have 33,000 miles, and there is no cracks. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

dvernst said:
I guess i'm pretty lucky I have 33,000 miles, and there is no cracks. I'll keep my fingers crossed.
Jicaju said:
Mines got 20,500 miles with no cracks.

Do your spoilers have a raised area on the top "flat" part towards the sides from the mounts? If not I call BS. They can't be the original spoilers without showing either of those wear signs unless it was stored upside-down or something. Even the actual pace car at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway Museum was cracked.

I used to be able to say mine wasn't cracked. Just turned 10K miles and only driven about 200 per year and just noticed a small crack. It seems like the metal bracket underneath is starting to rust and is forcing its way out . Not the kind of thing you like to discover .

Another way to see if your spoiler is original or not is to tap it lightly. If it is solid it is stock. Hollow=fiberglass...I've never seen a TTA in person that didnt have a cracked spoiler and I've seen about 10..

Jason

dvernst said:
FUnny....mine also has 33,000 miles with no cracks. We must be lucky. :cool:

When I bought my TTA with 1400 miles, the driver's side had a crack on the outside (where most do), as well as on the innner side edge, which I think is less common.

More than a year later with 400 more miles and the car being garaged kept, covered, and pampered to death, the passenger side has now started to crack.

I don't think that driving of the car has anything to do with the forming of these cracks.

I have been able to fill in the crack with a little bondo, smooth it out, then apply the GM touchup paint. Can hardly notice it now. Not a permenant fix, but it does the job until I decide to go with a new replacement.

Chris
------------------
1989 Pontiac Turbo Trans Am #760 (1800 miles)
1988 Chevrolet Corvette 35th Anniversary #1941/2050
1983 Delorean DMC-12
1985 Kawasaki Eliminator ZL900

auto_cran said:
When I bought my TTA with 1400 miles, the driver's side had a crack on the outside (where most do), as well as on the innner side edge, which I think is less common.

More than a year later with 400 more miles and the car being garaged kept, covered, and pampered to death, the passenger side has now started to crack.

I don't think that driving of the car has anything to do with the forming of these cracks.

I have been able to fill in the crack with a little bondo, smooth it out, then apply the GM touchup paint. Can hardly notice it now. Not a permenant fix, but it does the job until I decide to go with a new replacement.

That's exactly the point I was trying to make. Mileage really doesn't matter but the material and the stress it goes through from holding itself up is what causes them to crack. Once you take your stock spoiler off and compare it to a fiberglass one you'll understand why it cracked.

You can call BS all you would like or you can come look for yourself ;) Don't really matter to me. :biggrin:

72firebird said:
Do your spoilers have a raised area on the top "flat" part towards the sides from the mounts? If not I call BS. They can't be the original spoilers without showing either of those wear signs unless it was stored upside-down or something. Even the actual pace car at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway Museum was cracked.
My spoiler on the drivers side on top about three inches from the front has a tiny bump I guess you could say. I'm not sure if this is the start of something, but i have never noticed it until this thread and I inspected the whole thing. The spoiler seems like it is made out of a material with a little give when you push on it. The whole rest of it is absolutely perfect. I actually did see a TTA at Street Performance in Elk Grove Illinois that had either ten or eleven thousand miles on it, and there was real bad rust stains on the back from the spoiler brackets. I still didn't know it was a common problem though. Whenever i wash my car, after i chamois it I always pop the hatch and let the water drain out. It is amazing how much actually gets trapped in there.

17,200 miles with no cracks or problems - I've become a moderate expert as I just bought an 88 formula 350 with 20k and that spoiler was dead. Just took it off and bought a replacement from Hawk's. It became obvious that my TTA one was original - you can "squeeze" it.

On the replacement -

- cost about $400
- $125 to ship
- I fitted it using the method suggested on the forum (flat headed steel screws to mount into the "lollipop" brackets on the window instead of the standard brackets) Tough, but I got it pretty darn good - only fault is about a 1/16" gap to the deck lid on one side in one spot - not viewable to anyone not looking for it.
- Got a high end body guy down the street who is internationally known for Ferrari and the like restoration - he's re-shaping it a little as the lines were a little unpure & sanding/re-priming/painting. Should have it re-fit next week.
- Hopefully - having the cars sitting side by side I'm not left to watch for my TTA spoiler to deteriorate!!

Back