Grooms Stage 3 Engine setup

excobraguy

Hi All,

I am a new member and a new GN owner. I bought an '87 GN with 56,000 actual miles and a new Grooms stage 3 engine (girdled and forged internals). The mods to the car are:
New PT 61 Turbo
65 lb injectors
2800 stall converter (I have a brand new 3200 stall in the box)
Ported stock heads and matched ported intake
ATR 3" exhaust
MAF translator with extender chip

Right now it's running 18 lbs of boost.

Now to my questions......
Question, everywhere I keep reading tells me that in order to run in the 25 psi range of boost that alcohol injection is a must, true or false?

Question, Are the Grooms engines pretty reliable to holdup to the 25 lbs of boost or can they handle even more?

Question, what input can you offer on my setup to get the car into the 10's?

Thanks everyone!
Dean

In most cases at 25 psi alky injection and/or race gas is needed. I know nothing about Grooms engines.

Just a thought, but ANY engine that you put that much boost into is a bomb waiting to explode.OK, maybe those are strong words, but whe you are putting out 500 hp you are stressing the engine's internals. 500 hp doesn't sound like a lot, but we are talking 6 cylinders as opposed to 8. On a V-8 that is 62.5 hp per rod. A V-6 that is over 83 hp per rod. That would be like running a 666 hp small block.

Just my .05 worth.

Just a thought, but ANY engine that you put that much boost into is a bomb waiting to explode.OK, maybe those are strong words, but whe you are putting out 500 hp you are stressing the engine's internals. 500 hp doesn't sound like a lot, but we are talking 6 cylinders as opposed to 8. On a V-8 that is 62.5 hp per rod. A V-6 that is over 83 hp per rod. That would be like running a 666 hp small block.

Just my .05 worth.

25# of boost even for a stock 3.8 is really easilly attainable and the motor will last almost forever under those circumstances assuming it's properly tuned. My motor is bone stock internally, has well over 100,000 miles and has never been under 25# of boost when at the track (usually closer to 28+). I run 20# on the street on straight 93 octane (no alky).

Me thiniks you need to get another 100,000 or so miles under your belt in your Turbo Regal to make such a brash statement about an engine that is NOTHING like a small block chevy.

He said his engine is girdled and has forged internals which would make it infinately stronger than even a stock block. His engine will easilly handle 25+# of boost all day long AS LONG AS the tune is right and there's good race gas in it. Alky should be able to take him to 25# of boost safely enough as long as the alky system is trustworthy, and assuming the alky system doesn't suffer a pump failure under full boost. :eek:

There are a ton of girdled blocks with forged internals running in the 9's now and doing it safely.
Tune and octane!!

excobraguy I would add however, don't start pushing your stuff too hard until you get plenty of experience with the car and tuning it.

Race gas will work fine for that much psi. I ran a similar turbo over 30 psi with a bone stock engine. Just be careful of detonation. If your tune is clean, your engine should last a long time.

That combo should be able to go high tens depending on how those heads flow. It's going to take a good 60 foot, so slicks and suspension mods will be required. My best advice is to not be afraid to run the car at the track a lot. Learn how to tune and practice launching the car. Good Luck!

I am just trying to share my opinion Dave as we all may have our own opinion. Your engine has been very good to you, but I tend to err on the side of caution. Cobraguy seems to be new to the turbo buick world and we need to share pros and cons on the issue. Sure an engine built like his CAN take that amount of boost IF it was properly built and IF it is properly tuned and IF there is the proper octane available. That is a lot of "IFs".

Congratulations on the long life of your engine, we all could learn from your knowlege.I am wondering how many engines have NOT lasted at that boost level?

The main thing is that we are here to support and educate each other. Turbo Buicks are not like SB chevys or Fords and can learn things from everyone on this board.

Cobraguy, get that converter installed and LOTS of traction......you will be glad ya did !!!

The main thing is that we are here to support and educate each other. Turbo Buicks are not like SB chevys or Fords and can learn things from everyone on this board.

Cobraguy, get that converter installed and LOTS of traction......you will be glad ya did !!!

Hey Everyone, thanks for the great replies, much appreciated. Yes, i plan on getting track time in the car to learn all aspects of the car. Like my profile says, I am an ex Cobra owner. I had a 2004 Cobra that I raced and had a great time with it while I owned it. I have wanted a GN ever since they came out. So i sold the Cobra and bought the GN I now have. I love the car and it gets way more attention and is way more fun to drive than the IRS Cobra.

The Grooms engines I'm sure have both positive and negative comments about them, as I have read in here. For the most part they seem to be pretty stout. I'm looking forward to running the car in the 10's. I must say I like this website and the opinions here better than what I got over at some of the Ford performance websites. Thanks again guys!

check out the GMHTP for July. with the right cam and converter, you'll make over 500. race gas or alky.

Running 25# is not an issue as long as the motor does not knock. My stock engine has over 100k on it and I ran 25# all the time :biggrin: with no problems. LOTS of us are doing that!!!!!!!!!!! Get a scan tool and knock gauge and rip it.

Get in touch with Alkycontrol elsewhere on the board!! You will be glad you did. I would also look into the chip that is in the processor. It may be perfect or (like mine when I got it:rolleyes:) Not so great. It will have a dramitic effect on the car. Look into finding some Buick guys in your area of the world and ask LOTS of questions. Did you get any kind of info sheet with the car? If not may get with the previous owner and ask for him/her if they could put down any info they can. That can eliminate a lot of questions and problems later. Welcome to your new addiction:eek: !!! Where are you located anyhow. Good Luck Jon Hanson