You can type here any text you want

GTA clear coat removal?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

deputydawg

Any suggestions on the best/easiest way to remove the clear coat on a set of GTA wheels? The clear coat is peeling and I would rather just remove it and polish the lip.

deputydawg said:
Any suggestions on the best/easiest way to remove the clear coat on a set of GTA wheels? The clear coat is peeling and I would rather just remove it and polish the lip.

Aircraft stripper...you can buy it in a spray can for about $7
This is very powerful stuff. Use caution.

HTH,

i sand blasted mine off, then wet sanded outer lip thru 1800 grit wet, trying to post a few pics for each step, after finish with mothers aluminum polish

Attachments

• 007a.jpg
    007a.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 73
  • wheel 010a.jpg
    wheel 010a.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 63
another pic completed wheels

more pics completed wheels, maybe 20 hours each , take it day by day few minutes here and there

Attachments

• Tom Gn 004a.jpg
    Tom Gn 004a.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 73
  • Tom Gn 009a.jpg
    Tom Gn 009a.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 68
I had to have mine bead blasted. I tried aircraft stripper and it didn't do anything other than make my head hurt. The OE coating is not paint. It's some kind of plastic coating and it's a bitch to get off.

Fast, are the rims on the rear "front" ones? Are those M/T drs? What size. Thanks.

yes, car has gta fronts all around, no spacers ,rear 255/50/16 M/T street et, got them at local "advanced auto best price $172. each, removed bf goodrick g force kdw and replaced with m/t best improvement this year
Tom

Back