You can type here any text you want

GTA rim questions...

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

87gninpa

My brother just gave me a set of GTA rims from his old Trana Am. They are two fronts and two rears. I know the "proper" way to put rears ont he front is with adapters, but is it possible to run spacers with the stock lugs for a while until i can get two more fronts? if so, what spacers? i dont want to change the lugs because i will probably put the stockers back on when i get tired of these....also, will a 265 50 16 tire fit in the rear on a front GTA rims without rubbing and without a spacer?

I know you are supposed to run 4 fronts, due to offset. I believe the rears are a deeper offset, so you might be able to run spacers IF:

- The offset you need to make up is 1/4" or less

- Your studs are long enough to engage at least 5 full threads of the lugnut with the spacer and wheel tightened

I would definitely run the rears and spacers up front. I've had a G-body shear 4 of 5 studs on a street launch and leave me with the wheel sort of jammed up in the well. Embarassing and dangerous. I was running 5/8" rear spacers and stock studs.

My belief is that any loose spacer is a short term solution. Much better to buy proper bolt-on spacers from somewhere like VetteBrakes. They provide a truely solid mechanical extension and are NHRA legal with the proper hardware.

Jim

To do it correctly you are going to have to run a 1/2" or 7/16" spacer up front (GTA rears up front) with shanked lug nuts. Its the only safe way. You will only get like 2 or 3 turns w/o shanked lugs. With em, I got the normal 8-10ish.

DeltaT, loose spacers are not a short term solution. They work just fine. I ran spacers on the front of my old ttype for 2+ years, never ever had a problem. The wheels are now on my Dads Limited. No problems. Do it right the first time, your done. NO NEED TO SPEND HUNDREDS OF DOLLARS. VetteBrakes are nice, but not neccessary at all.

thanks Niel....I have shanked lugs from my draglites, will they work? (dont have the wheels right now, they're getting repainted so i cant try them yet) if not, what exactly are you talking about?

I run a complete set of 2 front and 2 rear GTA wheels on my car. I run the rears in the front with a 1.25" billet adapter and the fronts on the rear with a 1" billet adapter. I think the wheels sit perfectly in the wheel wells without that "tucked" look that most seem to have in the rear. I also don't get any rubbing or anything else weird.

Back