Guage pods

ChrisF

Who sells the nicest guage pods for the A-pillar and console?

Where can I connect a mechanical temp guage and retain the light also?

TIA

Chris

I use an Autometer pillar pod. I thought the color and fit was nice. I drilled mine so it used the factory trim holes to attach it with; I don't trust that tape. I don't have a recommendation for the console pod; anyone selling them is probably gets them from the same place so just pick one.

As for the lights, I pulled my dash dimmer out and probed the wire that had power with the dash lights on. I made sure it brightened and dimmed when rotating the dimmer wheel too. Then I hooked a tap splice into that wire and ran it to my gauges. They dim too when the dash is dimmed. Just make sure you have a good grounding point (steering column bolts are good) for the gauges and you should be fine.

I also like my Autometer A-pillar pod. The fit seems to be alittle better than the lotek pods.

Kirban's!

https://www.kirbanperformance.com/index1.htm

I like Kirbans, they cater mainly to Turbo Buicks, and have great prices. I got my dual console pod (H2O temp and Oil Pres.) through them. Quick shipping, good instructions, and a good deal on the package. My A pillar was already on when I bought the car, but it looks like the Kirbans model too (with the boost gauge). It works and looks great.

I use the Auto Meter pod too. I used the retainers that came with it to attach it to the OEM A pillar molding - there was no tape supplied with mine, nor would I use any.

John Larkin, if you've used the OEM trim screws with the Auto Meter pod I'd be very interested to see a photo. The center to center distance between the screws is almost as long as the pod, and there's very little "straight flange" on the bottom of the pod to get a screw through, let alone get the screw head to lay flat.

Thanks.

:)

I got the Lotek because I wanted the triple gauge deal in my A-pillar and a factory molded look. LOTEK FITS LIKE SH$T. Holed didn't line up and the piece doesnt have a lip like the factory one to wrap around the party that is by the window. Very poor quality for the $

Originally posted by Yedi
LOTEK FITS LIKE SH$T. Holed didn't line up and the piece doesnt have a lip like the factory one to wrap around the party that is by the window. Very poor quality for the $

Thats why it's not sold as HITEK. In this case the name says it all!:D

You dont have to go to the dimmer switch for dimming function, you could tap off the fuse block using a special adapter that plugs into the original fuse socket.

I think the fuse you use to tap off from is the one for the courtasy light, or was it the headlamp fuse?. i could check if anyone is interested.

Is the Autometer pod the entire pillar piece like the lotek, or the "clip on" like most of the others?

It's a pod, not a pillar. I've been talking to them about making a pillar though. We'll see what happens.

:)

The ONLY way to mount this Pod (Kirbans) seems to be the LOUSY double sided tape, I had this problem with my old car too!! Yea I COULD drill a hole and use a black screw but I'd rather find a better way..and the factory screw hole is out because its too low, the guage itself is in way!!!

A friend of mine just epoxyed his on and then painted the panel. It almost looks factory.

Thanks guys, but when I mentioned keeping the light I meant keeping the "temp" idiot light....

I need to know where to put the guage sender, leaving everything else where it is.

Thanks again!

Chris