You can type here any text you want

Harmonic balancer removal

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

daviss

I thought the harmonic balancer was supposed to slide off after removing the crank bolt. I tried sliding it off and then I tried a puller(very lightly because I didn't want to screw it up) and it's not moving. There was a thick layer of RTV under the washer when I removed it. Could it just be hung up on the RTV or am I missing something. What purpose does that RTV serve, if any, and should I put it back together that way or not.

Any help appreciated
Steve

Probably just being held on by corrosion or rtv. Just gently tap it off with a hammer. Use penetrating oil if necessary.

I appreciate the info. I guess it's just the RTV that's got it all gummed up. I just didn't want to hit it with the puller and an impact and mangle it all up. I'll clean off the RTV and see what happens.

What is the purpose of the RTV? Is it necessary?

Thanks
Steve

The one on my 4.1 needed a puller to get it to move the first 1/8" but then it came right off. No rtv or rust either.

What is the purpose of the RTV? Is it necessary?
Thanks
Steve

It keeps the oil from migrating up the snout of the crankshaft into the crank pulley. I don't use RTV. I use pipe joint compound. "Is it necessary?" You don't have to. I do it to keep oil out of the pulley.

It keeps the oil from migrating up the snout of the crankshaft into the crank pulley. I don't use RTV. I use pipe joint compound. "Is it necessary?" You don't have to. I do it to keep oil out of the pulley.

Never heard that before with Oil Leaking there? Interesting?

Also, sometimes mine is stubborn that first 1/4 inch but usually slides off.

Back