You can type here any text you want

has anyone ever used the tornado

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
I'll take one Keith. Send it with my new studs, LOL!

I need all the bolt-on HP I can get.:D

Sounds great I'll take one, make mine a 3". Oh and do you guy's carry Blondes with BIG Breasts as well. I'll take 2 of those. (SWEET) :eek: :D ;)

Going to experiment with dual tornados and one of those electric turbochargers mounted in-line before the tornados. Also having a new type of intercooler designed that will stick thru the hood, this is going back to my pro street roots. This is going to make so much power that the heads are going to have to be permanently welded to the block.:D :D :D :D :D

A local TV station here in KC approached my buddy Mark who owns a speed shop with a chassis dyno and asked him to do a before and after dyno comparison with the Tornado....needless to say the Tornado did not work as advertised!

Originally posted by turbov6joe
A local TV station here in KC approached my buddy Mark who owns a speed shop with a chassis dyno and asked him to do a before and after dyno comparison with the Tornado....needless to say the Tornado did not work as advertised!

What kind of car did they do the test on?? Out of curiousity.

hrm

maybe we can call garrett and tell them to use it as a compressor wheel in their new TORNADO series LOL

good one guys this thing looks like it a weiner!

:D :D :D :D :D :D

This is the funniest thread I've read this month. I darn near killed my keyboard when I spilled my drink...

To answer the original question:

For fuel economy (not necessarily power), turbulence in the port and combustion chamber is a good thing. Modern engines have all kinds of features to promote in-cylinder turbulence, at least on their non-performance engines. For example, on a four valve cylinder head, the air "tumbles" as it enters the chamber, if you can picture it rotating down to the piston and back up to the head during the intake stroke. On a two valve engine, one side of the valve is usually shrouded by the cylinder wall (or head surface) to promote "swirl", which is the air rotating around the center of the cylinder like a mini-tornado (no pun intended).

So, why does this work? Turbulence in the port and combustion chamber do two things: 1. Improve fuel-air mixing. 2. Increase the rate-of-burn in the cylinder, which increases the pressure rise and decreases the risk of knock during combustion. All of the above can extract more power from the same amount of fuel. More power from the same amount of fuel is more fuel economy.

For the "Tornado" to work, the swirling turbulence that it puts into the air stream would have to remain there through the throttle body, through the intake manifold, through the open intake valve, and through the entire intake and compression stroke. Not likely. Even the swirl and tumble that is induced as the air comes through the intake valve is mostly lost by the time the spark plug fires. I struggle to believe that swirling induced in the air UPSTREAM OF THE THROTTLE BODY would ever still be present when the air gets to the cylinder and is compressed.

Side Note: why doesn't turbulence necessarily work for maximum power? Well, whenever you do something that induces swirl or tumble, it also generally acts as an air flow restriction. To make power, swirling and tumbling are good, but so is moving as much air as possible.

So, there is the long, technical explanation for why the Tornado isn't worth what I left in the toilet a few minutes ago. Unless your wife starts acting up. :eek:

Originally posted by 87grandnat
you know that littli thing that they show on late night tv, the tornado has anyone ever used it, and if so did you see any gains in performance, thanks for any info

I say try it and let us know how it turns out.
Charles

I got one in each exhaust pipe and it creates a vortex behind my GN and while I;m driving, it sucks all the dust off of my car and I dont have to clean it. :)
Tarey D.

Keith saw my exhaust pipes and that is where he got the idea to put it in the MAF pipes. ;)

i say i got better things to spend my money on in my gn....like a fuel pump or scan tool, something that is actually usefull.

I heard that if you strap one to your hood, it makes a cool whistling sound.

Plus it scares the deer away.

Back