Has the GN value REALLY gone up this much?

.... About all thats good for is insurance purposes. You'd never get $15K out of a hot air car unless its got like 10 miles on it. ....

Agree with the value "for insurance purposes".
However, have you recently driven around a Hot Air in "A" condition?
I would not be so "quick" to make that sort of statement. Trust me on that one. :cool: Remember, it is all about "Supply and demand"

Naysayers

Anyone who thinks that muscle car values will bottom out should really reconsider! They just don't make these cars anymore!!!!

That's enough said!!!!!!:cool:

KBB lists nearly $32K for my 5800-mile 87GN :D
I saved a copy in case I ever get into a tussle with my insurance company.

Show me 20k and I would sell mine, then buy a low mileage stocker and rebuild...Someday the prices will go up.

Jason

Amen.....

Might even replace it with a TTA. They IMHO will be worth more than the GN in the end.... ony 1555 built.....kinda like Yenko's back in the day..... vs regular SS454 70 Chevelles.

Agree with the value "for insurance purposes".
However, have you recently driven around a Hot Air in "A" condition?
I would not be so "quick" to make that sort of statement. Trust me on that one. :cool: Remember, it is all about "Supply and demand"

OK, lets say you have $15K and want a TR. You can have an "A" quality (better be showroom quality) 85 GN or an excellent condition 86-87 TR. Which do you pick?

I'd say most people would pick the 86-87.

OK, lets say you have $15K and want a TR. You can have an "A" quality (better be showroom quality) 85 GN or an excellent condition 86-87 TR. Which do you pick?

I have an A quality 85 and I even I would pick the 86/87 if I had to do it over. Brad

OK, lets say you have $15K and want a TR. You can have an "A" quality (better be showroom quality) 85 GN or an excellent condition 86-87 TR. Which do you pick? I'd say most people would pick the 86-87.
------------------------------
What type of mileage would you be considering on your test question vehicles here?

KBB descriptions are
"Excellent" condition means that the vehicle looks new, is in excellent mechanical condition and needs no reconditioning. This vehicle has never had any paint or body work...
Even pristine, original, garaged lacquer paint doesn't look so good after 20 years. Seems odd that a modern paint job (urethane base/clear) could potentially degrade the value vs. the original paint. I'd rather have a properly done new paint job.

KBB descriptions are
"Excellent" condition means that the vehicle looks new, is in excellent mechanical condition and needs no reconditioning. This vehicle has never had any paint or body work...
Even pristine, original, garaged lacquer paint doesn't look so good after 20 years. Seems odd that a modern paint job (urethane base/clear) could potentially degrade the value vs. the original paint. I'd rather have a properly done new paint job.
-------------------------------------
My pristine, original, garaged laquer paint looks great. Mine has been covered all of it's life, though. Maybe that makes a difference. I think that this has become a stand-by excuse for a repaint on many a low mileage car that otherwise should not have needed one. Interestingly enough, those low mileage cars also do not have the original tires in most cases either. I definitely see a correlation there.

.... those low mileage cars also do not have the original tires in most cases either. ..
The original Goodyear tires were pretty crappy, though, insofar as traction is concerned. I still am indoor-storing my original Eagle GTs on original GN wheels, but after 20 yrs the tires have small cracks in the sidewalls & the wheels have developed slight oxidation and/or pitting on the chrome plating.

The original Goodyear tires were pretty crappy, though, insofar as traction is concerned. I still am indoor-storing my original Eagle GTs on original GN wheels, but after 20 yrs the tires have small cracks in the sidewalls & the wheels have developed slight oxidation and/or pitting on the chrome plating.
---------------------------------------
Tom:
Just out of my curiousity, are you original owner on this car?

---------------------------------------
Tom: Just out of my curiousity, are you original owner on this car?
Gary, I'm the 2nd owner, purchased in 1989. 1st owner was a middle-aged doctor, who seemed to have bought it on a whim, and subsequently never drove it much.

Gary, I'm the 2nd owner, purchased in 1989. 1st owner was a middle-aged doctor, who seemed to have bought it on a whim, and subsequently never drove it much.
----------------------
Tom: I am sure that it is a very beautiful car. Mine has almost 21K miles on it now, had about 8200 miles on the clock when I purchased it almost 4 years ago. I have decided that it is better to play with them, than to save them. Been playing ever since. You are missing out on a lot of fun. There is a 300 mile one that goes to the all GM show at Woodley Park in Van Nuys. Don't remember seeing it last year, but saw it the year before. If memory serves me correctly, had about 280 some odd miles on it at that time. Hope to see yours sometime at one of our local shows.

Vader - what if you run the same query and tell it you have 35k miles on your car. Does the value change much?

I have found that the mileage on a car doesn't seem to be taken into consideration very well on kbb and other sites.

Are the cars worth this much? To me...yes. To other people...depends on if they will pay that much for them.

Someone paid 44k for that one at BJ so it seems they might be worth that much.

If you take the stance (and I hate it) that "your car is worth what you can get for it" then I will give you 500 bucks and we have a deal.

No you say? Why not? Because you appraise it for more than that. So you see...it is not what you can get for it but what you want for it that determines value.

Will our cars ever be worth 25k like KBB says they are? I think so. You might say "not now" but that implies they eventually will be. When does eventuality become reality? We might be in that time right now :smile:

Exactly! Well said. :cool:

Anyone who thinks that muscle car values will bottom out should really reconsider! They just don't make these cars anymore!!!!

That's enough said!!!!!!:cool:

yeah they dont make pintos anymore either

ok but how many people would really pay kbb prices if you wanted to purchase one?
I dont think to many of you would

yeah they dont make pintos anymore either
Or Yugos. Or AMC Gremlins.
The cars that will have the highest prices over time are :
1) out of production.
2) relatively rare.
3) desireable (the most important quality).
4) have some historic footnote (eg, "quickest production car of the 80s")
5) are in good condition (but quality restorations negate much of this)

You are correct, I'd pick the 87 as well, but hindsight is 20/20.

Now think about this: You have a HA, drive around, get gas and someone who took his wife on a first date 23 years ago in a 84 GN sees the car and pulls in gas station. They are financially stable and can afford another GN ....... see the $15K is not out of reach. It is the emotional "have to have it" person that will pay the $. Happened to me 3 times, 3 different people :tongue: ( I have the phone numbers if I decide)
(I am still wondering why I am not selling ..:frown: )

Sometimes we forget that not everyone wants these cars for speed and HP. Not everyone wants to run 10's, 11's or even 12's.
Some JUST want to drive around in a stock car and remember the old days.

Sometimes we forget that not everyone wants these cars for speed and HP. Not everyone wants to run 10's, 11's or even 12's. Some JUST want to drive around in a stock car and remember the old days.
I think there's a lot of truth to that. Many people lust after mid-60s Mustangs that had V6s or small V8s, not at all a "performance" car.

These Mustangs were not particularly rare at the time (100s of 1000s made ?) , but do have a historical status (first "pony" car) and were (and still are) desireable to a lot of people.

Of the modern Mustangs, I happen to think the current generation is the best looking, largely because it recalls the automotive "glory days" of the mid-to-late 60s.

My understanding is that KBB doesn not seperate out the GNX in their data, so everytime one of those cars sells for $50K plus it skews the slope way up for our cars. I paid $6k for mine, running, with a little rust. I'd say they are worth 5K bottom for a running car, up to about 16K max for a nice one. Of course if you have a 5 mile car that has been vacuum sealed for the last 20 years you can get a lot more. :cool:

I would think most of us want to keep our cars in any case. I've had mine over 12 years now and I think I'm just now starting to appreciate fully what I have.