You can type here any text you want

Have some rear-axle whine

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Bird of Prey

hi there

i opened my rear axle cover these days to drain the old, greenish lube and ... of course because i have some "whine" when i'm in Drive and let the car roll. i have a feeling that, when the trans shifts in 2nd gear, the noise disappears. when i run at above 20 mph for example, there is no noise at all.

when i brake down to 5-10 mph and the trans shifts down the noise is again there.

it sounds a bit like a turbine (no it's not the turbo-whine). 100% mechanical noise. could it come from the transmission? any examples given?

matt

edit: i have to add that i refilled my rear with original GM Gear Lube and the LSD additive now.

I don't know that this will help, but my car does the same thing. I think it's planetary noise from the tranmission, but I'm not sure. I bought the car 5 years ago with 22K, it now has 45K and it's been making the noise since day 1. Nobody has ever given me a diagnosis, but it doesn't seem to be a problem so far.

hi

My TTA has 64.000 mls on the odo by now. i recognized this noise when i bought the car last year.

maybe it's no problem but it is disturbing me alot...

kk thanks.

matt

/edit: did you ever change the trans oil and filter?

I have this as well, pretty sure it's from the rear end and not from my transmission. Have had it for about 2 years and I'm sure I did not have it when I bought it over 4 years ago .... I've changed oil etc more than once just to see if that would cure it but no change...

but i'm curious about the fact, that the noise is only there when i drive slowly. e.g. in 1st gear.

if the rear was damaged there would be a noise on higher speeds!

but i'm curious about the fact, that the noise is only there when i drive slowly. e.g. in 1st gear.

if the rear was damaged there would be a noise on higher speeds too!

if the rear was damaged there would be a noise on higher speeds too!

Yea, mine has that too! I wonder if it has anything to do with the 2004r or something? My 84 GN did it as well.

It's transmission noise on my car, no doubt about it. It's speed related like a rear end noise, but goes away instantly on the 1-2 shift and you don't have to be moving fast. I can poke along in parking lots at car shows and it does it as long as it's in first gear, but the instant it goes into second gear the noise stops. I've heard this same noise on a '86 GN years ago, and since the TTA doesn't have the same rear axle as a GN, I'm fairly confident it's the transmission.

My car makes the same noise. I thought that the rear end grease might have gummed up because the car sat for so long but hearing that others have the same noise makes me think it's just inharent to the car. I live on a dirt road so I have to drive at a very low speed until I get onto asphalt .This gives me alot of time to listen but it's hard to pinpoint the source. I'd bet the trans is it. Some times I get a whirring noise when shifting from park into drive. Does anybody else get this noise?

I have 110,000 miles on rear end and since I owned the car it has made a whine at slower mph. I just had the trans redone (not because of the noise) I still hear the whine from the rear end.
I have put about 15,000 miles on the car since I have owned it, and lots of 1/4 mile passes. I just change the fluid every year. Knock on wood it still holding up.

Originally posted by coolguywalt
Yea, mine has that too! I wonder if it has anything to do with the 2004r or something? My 84 GN did it as well.

I believe its the trans as well.

my car has 10k miles and does it. ive heard rear end noise before and the noise we are talking about aint it.

my vote is trans. and sounds like its pretty normal since we are all experiencing it.

I vote for the Trans. also. Why would the rear end noise go away as soon as the car shifts?

BTW mine makes the same sound in 1st gear.

hmm someone should use full synth atf and see if the problem is solved.

but this oil is expensive, so i can't try it :D

any volunteers? hehe

matt

Back