Have you guys ever experienced coil bind?

gnfanatic

I installed front springs (Moog??) several years ago and cut 1 coil off to lower the car. Love the stance and ride but the car always made this funky noise like the bottom coil is re-seating into its pocket of lower control arm? It is a heavy ping noise. Happens ONLY when I lower the front of the car with a jack OR when I enter a parking lot with a steep ramp. Never when I turn the wheel. It never squeaks, just that ping. I checked to see if springs are in their seats and also verified isolators. I am not sure when this started, I want to fix this before going to alignment shop. Thanks!

I do not know who this guy is and what he is driving but this is the exact noise I hear when lowering front car from jack or entering a steep parking lot ramp.

Sounds like the spring is popping. If the ends are not "clocked" like the original is, it may jump around in the seat.....

In the seat on lower arm there are two holes towards the end for the end of coil. Does the end of the coil go BETWEEN those two holes ? Because mine is covering both holes.. maybe the spring rotates a littke, no room to move ?

The spring should be seated at the top, into the frame. There is a step up inside the frame that the end of the spring sits in.
The end of the spring on the bottom should line up between the two holes in the A-arm. Those are drain holes, so that water doesn’t sit in the arm and rust it out. If you trimmed exactly one coil, the ends of the spring should be in the same location as the original spring.

Thanks. I will verify everything this week. I know the holes on the lower control arm are covered by the coil. It is possible the spring is to far into the seat

From the manual.

Attachments

• C420EF29-2A74-44D9-B4E3-27EB787798AC.png
    C420EF29-2A74-44D9-B4E3-27EB787798AC.png
    566.3 KB · Views: 40