You can type here any text you want

Head bolt ?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

ikle

Did GM use a reddish colored sealant under the head bolts when assembled ? I only see this on the head bolts under the valve cover, it seems to be breaking down and going through the oil system. Does anyone know what this material is ?

GM used something that resembled plumbers putty on the threads because they go into the water jackets. Do the bolts have any markings on the heads? More than likely someone changed a head gasket and didn't put sealant on the threads then put coolant tabs in the radiator to stop the water from migrating past the threads.

Neal

GM used something that resembled plumbers putty on the threads because they go into the water jackets. Do the bolts have any markings on the heads? More than likely someone changed a head gasket and didn't put sealant on the threads then put coolant tabs in the radiator to stop the water from migrating past the threads.

Neal
It almost looks like GM marked the bolt with this reddish paint to indicate the bolts where torqued, there is also a marking with the same material by one of the push rods, I'll try to post some pics. Thanks, Kyle.

Here is a pic

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    292.4 KB · Views: 145
I wouldn't be concerned about the paint dab that is adjacent to the pushrod hole. Not sure what it signified originally. As far as the head bolts go I can't see them clearly in the picture. What it looks like is possibly red RTV silicone. Can you post another picture?

Neal

That's the only pic I have, I am not to worried about it, I was just wondering what it was since pieces of this material is in my oil pan as well. The car was extremely over heated recently so I am wondering if getting so hot it has loosened somethings up discharging them into the oiling system. Thanks for your help, Kyle.

When the heads are put on at the factory all of the bolts are tighted at the same time. And yes as I recall the factory TTY head bolts had red thread sealer on the threads and under the head of the bolts.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

When the heads are put on at the factory all of the bolts are tighted at the same time. And yes as I recall the factory TTY head bolts had red thread sealer on the threads and under the head of the bolts.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app
Ok thanks for the info, things are starting to make sence now. :)

Just a thought do you happen to have a stock timing set on your motor? The cam gear was made of plastic and after years of running it can break down and leave little slivers in the oil pan kinda orange brown in color. I know the stock head bolts when you torque them down some of the thread sealant comes up to the top of the bolt. I just used a pick to remove the extra.

Just a thought do you happen to have a stock timing set on your motor? The cam gear was made of plastic and after years of running it can break down and leave little slivers in the oil pan kinda orange brown in color. I know the stock head bolts when you torque them down some of the thread sealant comes up to the top of the bolt. I just used a pick to remove the extra.

No I replaced the stock timing set with a double roller from Cotton's Performance about 9 years ago, I also removed the stock tensioner. Right now I think I am going to try to flush out the foreign material by priming my motor using cheap oil and dropping the pan multiple timings. It's just weird that there isn't any of this foreign material on the oil pickup screen, just at the bottom of the pan, even when I strain the oil using a paint strainer there is no to very little in the strainer, it all seems to settle very quickly. Thanks for yor reply, Kyle.

the way the stock oil pan is built is pretty stupid. There's a boss that sticks up about 1/2" for the drain bolt to screw into. Every time you drain the oil about 1/3 quart stays in the engine. With that boss acting like a stand pipe, and small bits of crud or paste can't drain out.

I have a couple of stock pans that have a hole drilled through the side of the drain bolt boss threads so it will drain all the way, but large chunks of crud can not go through. I like the RJC pan that has the thread boss on the outside like it should be. The stock pan can be modified the same way.

I definitely agree with you guys with the design flaw of the stock pan not being able to drain all of the oil out of it. I am going to look into modifying my pan by welding the oil drain plug boss on the outside, until then I will just remove the pan when changing the oil. Thanks, Kyle.

Back