head bolts

merc

Hey guys, what is the part # for arp head bolts for our cars? Also can you get them from Jegs or Summit. Thanks

arp bolts

You can get the arp head bolts from www.johnsperformance.com.
I don't know of anywhere else that has them. John knows the length of the bolts we need, and puts them in a kit.
You will need to notch your exhaust for them to work. You will also need to "season" them prior to final assembly. I have them on my car, thankfully the heads don't have to come off too often.
If you have questions you can contact John, he's really good about answering questions.
Ken

What do you mean by seasoning the bolts? I,ve also saw the bolts for our cars in an old Eastern Performance catalog so i thought maybe they were something arp stocked and maybe i could get them a little closer to home. Btw has anyone ever used SIvalves stainless valves in their heads, my timing chain took a dump and bent some valves. I saw them on the net and they cost about half of what a set of Manley valves cost, theyre undercut and swirl polished so i thought id give em a try. Thanks

I ordered mine through a local machine shop and ended up just talking to the lady at ARP with the measurements then they got shipped to the same machine shop.

You don't have to notch your headers if you eliminate 6 of the washers (the lower bolts that hit) which wont hurt anything since the bolt holes are large enough to avoid the radius under the head.

Season means to torque the bolts and remove them several times and preferrably measure the stretch of each bolt.

Is your motor apart? A buddy of mine told me some thing interesting a few months back. He was saying he has heard of people drilling and retapping there head bolt holes to like the next size up and then using ford mustang head bolts. Supposedly these bigger head bolts will clamp the heads down better and really helps hold the head gaskets in. When I go to put my other engine in I'm going to check into this. Anyone else hear of any body doing this?

Jason