You can type here any text you want

Head Gasket and Head Bolt questions

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

rob350

I'm rebuilding an 86 motor with stock heads. I got Fel-pro 9441PT head gaskets and Fel-Pro ES74022 Head Bolts. I'm assuming these head bolts are stock replacements that are torque to yield? Are these Fel-Pro headgaskets installed dry? The Fel-Pro head bolts appear to have some sort of sealer on them. Should I use different sealer? Are these head bolts installed dry or with lube? Are the instructions on gnttype the ones I should follow? I'm getting mixed stories from alot of people.

Thanks,

Rob

Head gaskets install dry same for head bolts . Make sure your torq wrench is set correctly verified by machine shop if you have a cheapy. I believe you want 25lb and 60lbs.

Thanks! I noticed that the head gaskets cover a passage between the head and the block. Is that normal?

From what I have read, with the TTY (torque to yield) bolts, the correct procedure is to torque all the bolts in the specified sequence, using a 90° pull on each one. If, at any point during a 90° pull, the wrench clicks, (60 lbs or what ever is correct) you are done with that bolt.
At the factory, a 8 socket machine torqued all 8 at once. I guess that's why it's hard to replicate the original seal.

Back